cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks LMS 3.0.1 CS 3.1.1 auto discovery

alukes
Level 1
Level 1

I inherited a network that has some switches with CDP turned off. These switches attach to routers and are daisy chained on Ethernet ports. It seems like the new discovery features should find these, but I haven't had any luck.

I have turned on CDP, IP ARP, routing table, HSRP and ping sweeps.

What should I do to get this to work or what is the best manual method to find the missing switches? Thanks

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You could probably turn off HSRP and IP ARP. Ping sweeps should be sufficient here provided the switches have reachable IP addresses, and they are configured for SNMP. Make sure your SNMP settings are correct in Discovery, and that you've configured a proper ping sweep hop count (or left the hop count field empty).

If there is an SNMP problem will it at least show up as unreachable?

if you have configured at least one of the Layer 3 disco modules I would say it should show up...

but I am not sure...

but there are other things I think that are important:

1) are the seeds globally configured or per module

2) if per module, have you set a hop count ?

if there is a hop count defined, is it for all or only a few of the seeds?

4) do you have checked 'use DCR as seed' (which is enabled by default) ?

these are the general points you can configure for CSDiscovery - but there is no explanation/documentation available what they mean in detail and how they work!

In former releases of LMS seeds where only used for the initial discovery - I think this did not changed; but what happens afterwards?

The new feature 'Hop count' seems to restrict the subsequent discovery to the initial seeds and the sourrounding devices, being a Hop count of x hops away from a seed. So what means the option 'use DCR as seed' which can be choosen along with 'Hop Count' ? For me, this seems to be an opposed configuration option...

Currently, I would say if a 'Hop Count' is defined, new devices will only be discovered if they are not more than x Hop Counts away from any device listed as a seed.

Does the 'Discovered Devices' show the neighbors of each reachable device in the list or is this column empty ?

The device will show up as unreachable in Discovery IF it was found by one of the modules. It will not, however, be added to DCR.

I finally got a class and the instructor turned off CDP on three switches in his lab. Using all possible discovery methods we found two out of three switches. These were old catalyst 1900s. The two that were found had the same manufacturer number in the MAC address. The one that wasn't found had a different one.

I think all of the switches had SNMP set up, so I am not sure what happens when there is an SNMP problem.

Based on that experiment and what I have seen in my production network it appears that discovery detects the devices except for certain very old devices.

In order to determine what is going on, a sniffer trace will be needed. Chances are there is an issue with either missing objects, or slow SNMP response time.

What exactly is meant by Unreachable in discovery? Does it only mean that it is SNMP unreachable?

Well, it could be IP unreachable from the LMS server, but it could just be unreachable via SNMP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: