Views
Helpful
Replies

Type of VIC module for India and China

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I brough up an office in Pune India about two years ago using a 1760v router with FXOs and CCM 4.0.2a, the 1760v router was configured as an H.323 gateway with analog lines to PSTN. I ran into an issue with the VIC2-4FXO module and the analog lines in India, for some reason the anlog lines in India would not work with VIC2-4FXO. The analog lines were tested fine but for some reason when I test the lines with VIC2-4FXO connected and debug enabled I was not able to see anything, it seemed like the call didn't even hit the voice port. But when I swap out the VIC2-4FXO with the VIC-2FXO everything works fine.

Has anyone had any experience with POT lines in India or China ? Are there different types of VIC modules for different part of the world ?

I have two new locations coming up (one in India and one Beijing China). I will be using POT lines to PSTN for these locations and would like to use the 4-port FXO module but affraid that I will run into the same issue that I ran into in India.

Any recommendations / suggestions is very much appreciated !!

Danny

9 Replies 9

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Danny,

There used to be different versions of the FXO card (M1,M2,M3 etc) in the 1st gen cards. The 2nd gen cards (VIC2) is a universal card. It should work any where. Do you know if this is a loopstart or ground start line. Have you tried changing the mode on the VIC on IOS to either ground/loop start to see if this works..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800b53c7.shtml

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi Shanky,

Just to let you know. There are no ground start lines outside North America :)

LOL..Paolo..thanks for the info..coming from India i should have known that..lol..but i have hardly worked with phones systems over there ...

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Hi Sankar,

Thanks for your response !!!

The lines are loopstart and they work with the vic-2fxo but not with vic2-4fxo. So ended up using vic-2fxo at the existing India facility. For the new facility that is coming up I would like to use the vic2-4fxo but don't know what I would need to do to get this module to work.

I appreciate your response !!!

Danny

Did you had enough DSP resources for all the voice-ports ?

Have you taken "debug vpm signal" ?

So is the FXO interface showing down ?

Have you tried csim start to see if a call can be placed from the router via the fxo port.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

I did open a TAC on this issue and we did run debug on the router but were not able see anything (there was nothing in the debug output). It seemed like there wasn't enough voltage/amprage or something like that to activate the voice port because I was not able to see the call hitting the voice port at all using the vic2-4fxo. But everything works with the vic-2fxo. And TAC was not able to come up with a reason why the vic2-4fxo would not work in India.

Thank you very much for your inputs !!

Danny

bretjaquish
Level 3
Level 3

This might be a shot in the dark, but I've had issues where the site's lines were crossconnected wrong.

debug vpm signal

Plug in the line to the VIC and see if you get any errors stating the tip and ring are flipped.

I have mentioned earlier, the lines work with vic-2fxo that tells me that the lines are fine. And when run debug with the vic2-4fxo connected I see nothing "blank" like nothing happens when I call the line.

thank you very much for responding !!!

Danny