cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is 10GB backbone good investment?

lhalachev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!I am wondering is 10GB backbone good investment for netwok with about 300 users. Can I use Cisco 4507 for core switch and 3560 for access and a 10GB optical backbone between them?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You really don't want your equip to last 15 years! You'll want new features and technologies right? Cisco will only support equipment so long as well. Buy the best cable you can b/c that does have to last, but I only expect software/hardware to last 3-5 years.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you need 10GB? I run 4GB and have 5000 users with <2% utilization. Do your research and buy what you need (including room for growth). Just my 0.02. You could use a 4500 for core and you would have to buy the 3560-E series to get 10GB. There are port/throughput limitations on the 4500, so again, do your homework.

Thanks for the answer Mr Clark.It's not a real project and It's not going to be.I am making a project for a diplom work. I am making cabling which have to be useful at least 15 years, and I am wondering what kind of network equipment to choose that also can be useful atleast 15 years, so that is why I asked is 10GB good investment. I will carry voice, data and video. Thanks in advance!

You really don't want your equip to last 15 years! You'll want new features and technologies right? Cisco will only support equipment so long as well. Buy the best cable you can b/c that does have to last, but I only expect software/hardware to last 3-5 years.

Hope that helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card