Views
Helpful
Replies

Canadian Requires Help From Chilean

david.walsh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We're looking at deploying a Cisco VoIP system in our branch office using one of those UC500 things from Cisco. Basic stuff for the small office.

I just have a question regarding telco stuff. Here in Canada, we just use norman (realize that I'm using that word relatively speaking) Centrex to come into our gear.

Is there anything I need to be concerned with that might be different from telco service offerred in Chile. We're in Puerto Montt if that makes any difference.

TIA,

Dave

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Centrex is out of discussion outside North America.

Ask if they can provide ISDN BRI (very unlikely) or E1 R2 (they can, but can be expensive even for few channels).

Both are digital telephony lines that can bring the most to your UC500. Using analog lines would deprive you of quite a bit of functionalities and cause problems in doing certain things (AA, IVR, VM).

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Ya, good point. However, the ISDN option would probably be too costly.

How would Centrex lines affect AA and vmail though? I'm just going to take everything off the AA. Someone calls the main line and then they go to the AA. Simple as that isn't it?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

I was to write some lengthy stuff about Centrx and PBX, but will spare you this time :)

Basically, take Centrex out of the equation because isn't there. If you want a good system get E1 R2, you might get away with as little as 6 channels. Else you will have to live with analog lines and the associated limitations, and you will positively need to configure accurately disconnect supervision on the lines, as you plan to run AA all the time.

Come back on that when you've the equipment in place.

As an appreciation to those providing answers, please rate useful posts with the scrollbox below!

Thanks.

However, the problem is that we have only four people and seven phones in the entire office. It wouldn't make good financial sense to bring in with ISDN. You have to pay for the digital network access (DNA), and that's like $300 here in Canada, and that doesn't give you any channels. Then you add on DS0s at about $30/channel. We'd be looking at over $500/mo just in PSTN access for four people. For that money, I could much easier purchase just simple Centrex down there.

Are you from Chile?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi, as I told you before, there are no Centrex services outside North America. The most you _may_ get is call waiting, call-forward, individual VMs, and like.

With few phones, was that an European location, ISDN BRI would be the ideal solution, having only two channels priced like an analog each. But ISDN, either BRI and PRI, is generally unavailable across Latin America.

Due to my work I'm familiar with the infrastructure of various countries over there.

Good luck and please remember to rate useful posts.

This was very good information from someone who knows about Voice installations in that part of the world.

Jason

Hi David

Im from chile, you have some alternatives, FXO, E1 R2 o E1 PRI. The majority of instalation is with FXO less expensive than others for PSTN.

I think Centrex services isn't available for that location but you can ask to some carriers Telmex, Telefonica, Entel or Telefonica del Sur this last is major carrier for that zone.

regards,

Pablo

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Guys,

I thought you might find this article interesting;

Dataflex selected by Entel for IP-Centrex deployment in Chile

Dataflex, a designer and manufacturer of access solutions for telecomms carriers and service providers, announced the successful implementation of its ViNE Integrated Access Devices as part of the first IP-Centrex deployment in Chile with Entel (Empresa Nacional de Telecommunications S.A.), a telecomms company in Chile.

According to the company, Entel has selected Dataflex's ViNE because of its interoperability with the Huawei Softswitch used to deliver the service. The MGCP functionality of the Dataflex ViNE units enables Entel's customers to use less complex IP-Phone handsets, which reduces initial startup costs, said product manager business area at Entel.

The selected Dataflex ViNE1104a and ViNE1108a VoIP units provide a modular IAD offering a voice and data unit for the SOHO or SME markets. Each provides a standard ADSL interface with either 4 or 8 analogue ports capable of supporting either SIP or MGCP.Remote migration between both of these VoIP protocols is possible and the units are deployed in front of a small PBX or operating as a stand-alone device with direct FXS connections, the company claims.

From this link;

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ECZ/is_2006_May_4/ai_n16348860

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi rob, thanks for the link.

However, "Huawei" and "MGCP" in the same sentence are a little worrying details of the solutions :)

Also, I would be surprised if it did go beyond trials in Santiango.

Normally, little or nothing is made to progress telecoms in rural areas. This is true all over the world, not only L.A.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: