Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Encrypt traffic between bridges using WPA

I've been looking through a lot of Cisco documentation, but I can't seem to find a clear-cut answer.

How do I encrypt traffic between two 1310 bridges using WPA2?

THanks

8 Replies 8

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

You don't. That's the answer. Cisco bridges do not support WPA2. WPA2 is only supported in access point roles. This is a big issue for some of my customers and I have to use other vendor solutions where WPA2 is required (Defense contractors and government use).

Thanks for clarifying that dennis. We are currently using WEP, but need the strongest encryption solution that is available on the 1310 bridges to encrypt the traffic between the bridges.

Could anyone inform me what the best solution would be and how to implement it?

Configuration examples and or links to documentation would be appreciated.

As much as I would love to help you I won't push someone else's product on the Cisco forum page. I would call Tessco or Gigawave and ask for assistance. They will tell you what bridges are out there that support WPA2 in bridge mode.

Try using WPA with TKIP.

It doesn't have any known vulnerabilities like WEP. WPA2 with AES is preferable, but TKIP should have to do unless you have specific requirements from your customers.

thanks nikitas - I have actually been working on that as a solution :)

This topic is related to my issue. I just verified w/ Cisco that WPA2/AES is supported on Cisco 1310 bridges, however, it is NOT supported on 1400 A radio bridges.

I went back and checked as well and you are correct. There is also a new 1400 series bridge that will support WPA2 and AES. It will be available shortly.

Here is a base config from one of my bridges using AES encryption plus tkip.

Remember that when using WPA-PSK to use a strong PSK, at least 10 characters, numeric and special character to prevent against a dictionary attack.

Hope this helps.

dot11 ssid Wireless

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa

infrastructure-ssid

wpa-psk ascii xxx

!

!

!

username admin privilege 15 password xxx

!

bridge irb

!

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

!

broadcast-key change 300

!

!

ssid Wireless

!

speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0

channel 2412

station-role root

cca 75

concatenation

infrastructure-client

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card