Views
Helpful
Replies

CVP HTTP XML Query

Chad Stachowicz
Level 6
Level 6

Guys,

I am a bit new to CVP and I need a bit of guidance on how to do something. Basically I want to hit a webpage and pass the callers ANI to a URL as a parameter. (i.e. http://www.cisco.com?#callerid=4157681734) at this location is going to be some xml file that holds specific information for that caller. Is this something I need to do in java, or is there a specific VXML that will allow me to do this? Can someone enlighten me on their wisdom, in IP IVR I would know how to do this but VXML is a whole new ballgame. Thanks in advance!

Chad

8 Replies 8

Riccardo Bua
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Chad,

is this CVP standalone or you have deployed ICM as well?

Most of it would be available to you already in an ICM interaction with standard ICM scripting.

Regards,

Riccardo

I disagree with Riccardo - how would ICM do it?

With Studio you can do it with a custom Java component using Sun's JAXB - that's how I did it in CVP 3.0. Pretty sophisticated Java skills required.

If you control the Web server, you can also use the Action element set to use a URI - the documentation describes the format of the XML document passed from client to server and back.

With CVP 4.1, I believe you can use the new Web Service element, though I have not used it and don't know much about it.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I don't disagree with you :-)))

I was saying you would hold the DNIS and use it for a DB lookup, it is basic ICM scripting, involving some Java component or XML datasheet would be lot more complicated as you were saying, hence the question wherever this was deployed with ICM.

Regards,

Riccardo

Hi,

This is CVP 4.0. So I am not afraid of coding a custom java class to handle this, what I don't understand is the specification of A integrating this java class into my Studio application. Is there a good document out there for this? It does indeed have ICM, but it seems as geoff would say, we need a custom java class. If someone could point me towards how to use a java class within CVP. I will gladly write and share it. BTW the reason for this is, the database team won't let us direct access their database, so they are going to present the data with SOAP messages. I already have written lots of SOAP parse code for AXL stuff in CM, so shouldn't be too much work...

Chad

OK Chad. What you need is the template for an "Audium Action Element". I don't know if these are distributed with CVP 4.0. I download them from the Audium Support site.

What you should start with is an extremely simple example, and see how it integrates into Studio and then how it is deployed to the Tomcat server. You need to know where the classes must live on both Studio and Server, and where supporting JARs must live.

The Cisco CVP Developers Guide helps a lot.

This is all do-able, and to many of us who have written custom action elements and custom voice elements it seems pretty easy.

But it is a bear to get started. If you make a mistake in your class and it can't load, and it doesn't appear in Studio, it's impossible to debug. So start with a simple one and progress from there.

You need an understanding of Java class loaders, and there are some important re-entrancy provisos you must obey within an action element.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

This sounds like a real treat! Everyone has to start somewhere, so I will give it a read through and go from there. I appreciate the help and the advice, but its always fun to do something new! Also there must be some log file which shows successful or unsuccessful loading of the classes?

Cheers,

Chad

>Also there must be some log file which shows successful or unsuccessful loading of the classes

You wish. ;-). Studio is built on the Eclipse toolkit and there is a startup log accessible under Help. It doesn't help. That's why I say start with a simple element that maybe takes a session variable name as input and a value, and sets the session variable to that value. Learn to use the logging within your custom class.

But yes, it's a lot of fun.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

Is there a good place to read about how the variable structure of VXML works? I suppose I'm trying to figure out all the different types of elements, and how they all work with each other. I am going to give the devolpers guide a read over today, and hopefully that will shed alot of light on things!.

Chad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: