cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

How force my IP Communicator (and windows XP) to classify and marking the voice traffic to avoid QoS problems in my LAN?.

I have more than 1000 ip phones with about 200 Caltalyst 3560 working fine, my problem is with ip communicator.

Normally the PC with the IP Communicator setup its ip address in the data vlan.

Is there a way to simulate the internal switch in the 79xx ip phones to separate the data and voice traffic in the PC NIC ?.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

from what I understand, IP Communicator will set media to DSCP EF and that's all what is required.

Beside, in a LAN only environment, 1,000 or 10,000 phones, you do not need to worry much about QoS. In the unlikely case that a some gigabit link becomes saturated, just add another.

my question is because I'm having choppy voice with the ip communicator, the switchport has the cisco-phone macro applied.

I will try to add a second 1gb uplink via etherchannel.

Thanks

Check show interfaces across all the path between phones an ipcp, something could show up there. Also check that You NOT use g729 for the IPCP has it has worst results in case of jiteer and loss.

Some link must be severely congested to have choppy voice on a LAN environ.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: