cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why does the 871 use crossover cables?

chrisblaze
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a 871 (non-wireless) and during the intial setup I couldnt get the 3 port up. All out of options I created a Vlan with all the ports inside, gave it an ip address and brought it up.

when I connected a straight through cable from the router to the PC the port wouldnt come up, but when I connected a crossover, the port came up.

Why would it not come up on a straight through.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Chris,

Are you sure that you are using a good straight through patch cable? The 871 router supports MDIX auto which means that the switch port will automatically cross over the pairs in hardware.

Mark

View solution in original post

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

A router and a PC would be peer devices (i.e., both are made to plug into a switch), or you could say they are both DTE devices.

As such, the most appropriate cable would be a crossover cable.

That aside, at least some of the switch modules are auto MDI/MDI-X and should adapt. If the PC NIC is old enough, it may not cooperate with speed/duplex auto-discovery.

There are some other factors, sometimes just hard coding one side screws up discovery for the other side.

What version of IOS are you running?

Have you tried a scratch install?

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Chris,

Are you sure that you are using a good straight through patch cable? The 871 router supports MDIX auto which means that the switch port will automatically cross over the pairs in hardware.

Mark

thanks for the reply Mark, yes we tried many cables but the crossover is the only one that worked. I just found that strange.

Something doesn't seem right. I also have a 871, and use straight through cables just fine. Have you tried a different PC? It should work with both crossover or straight cables.

Mark

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

A router and a PC would be peer devices (i.e., both are made to plug into a switch), or you could say they are both DTE devices.

As such, the most appropriate cable would be a crossover cable.

That aside, at least some of the switch modules are auto MDI/MDI-X and should adapt. If the PC NIC is old enough, it may not cooperate with speed/duplex auto-discovery.

There are some other factors, sometimes just hard coding one side screws up discovery for the other side.

What version of IOS are you running?

Have you tried a scratch install?

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card