ccvp certification

Unanswered Question
Jun 21st, 2008

I am going for ccvp ,I am wondering if microsoft knowlege is required for the the real world ccvp jobs

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
cyphur353 Mon, 06/23/2008 - 04:42

Any networking position would benefit from knowledge of MS products, especially the TCP/IP stack and office products. Knowing how MS servers behave definitely is an advantage when troubleshooting application issues. The same goes with Unix, never hurts to know more.

However, having designed a smaller voice network, I can say that Windows and the related technologies were not a factor. If you are utilizing web cams and voice, you could possibly run into performance issues if Windows doesn't behave correctly, but again, you would probably be working with a desktop support group in most environments to get that resolved (unless you are in a small shop or a very diverse environment where everyone "wears many hats").

jamesfang98 Wed, 06/25/2008 - 05:44

My answer is yes - since callmanager 3.x, 4.x and IPCC express/enterprise all run on MS. When you come across fresh installation as a whole, windows knowledge is definetely needed like: setup local host, DHCP scope setup, integration with AD via LDAP.

In real world, you are more likely to get assistant from Desksupport team.

In general, MS knowlege is needed even if you just want to be a true cisco voice guy since you may need to guide windows guy how to troubleshoot voice-related problem in windows part.

This Discussion