Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 POE SWITCH

jerry_best
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Presently i am working on VOIP project . I have NORTEL IP phone 2004 , 3750PS 24 port POE switches and 4006 L3 Core Switch. Never Work on VOIP project.

1.What configuration i have to do in POE switch? i think if i am not wrong i hv to configure normal Vlan port configuration? kindly advise.

2. should i use dot1q trunk between Core switch and POE switch?

my logical diag. for Voice is

POE--Core4006--CE

3. Actually i have NS firewall between Core and CE, wht is best pratise for VOice can we put voice on Firewall ? need suggestion for this? if i will put voice on firewall then what are the issues?

kindly advise

Thanks in Advance

Jerry

5 Replies 5

hennigan
Level 1
Level 1

Do the Nortel phones communicate with a Nortel IP-PBX? If so where is the PBX in your network? Do the Nortel phones have a port for an attached PC behind the phone? If so do they support a separate voice VLAN for the phone? How will the phones and/or PBX connect to the PSTN? Traditional TDM trunks to the PBX or SIP trunks? If SIP, from where? Is there a TFTP/FTP server from which the phones pull configurations? Where will it be in the network? Is more than one site involved?

You haven't supplied information regarding any of the VoIP devices in your network other than the phones, so any recommendations will involve guesswork and assumptions.

Are you working with a Nortel IP-PBX vendor and does Nortel supply any documentation or have any recommendations?

What is "NS Firewall"?

Hi,

Suggest u to create different vlan for ur scenarios.keep ip phones in one o vlan and provide a seperate vlan for other voice devices.also enable intervaln between these.

--Now on 3750 switch,assign vlan of ip phones to ports and test ur scenarios.

If u r using fw between nortel setup & ur internal setup u have to open some ports in firewall for communication.

Regards,

Raj

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

1. Yes Nortel phones will communicate with Nortel PBX. Phone are in India and PBX is in USA. IP Phone will registered at remote site thru MPLS circuit.

Diag:- IP PHONES - 3750 POE - L3 Core switch 4006 - MPLS CE Router

Planning to create seperate VLAN for Voice network , so my CE router FE port (Physically connected to Core Switch) will be in that Voice VLAN.

TFTP Server is also at remote location.

Kindly advise.

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Hi,

Suggesting u to create a vlan for connnecting ur ce router and give a route in ur l3 switch that for remote network it will go to router ethernet port.also intervlan communication should happen.

try & let me know the status.

Raj

hi,

Create seperate VLAN for voice and it is working fine. thanks for ur suggestion.

Jerry

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card