Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning tree converge

ezsurf0902
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to connect a edge switch direct to our core switch.

What I have currently is a “primary core” and “secondary core” etherchannel together and both are configure with lower bridge priority (24577).

My question are:

1. If I have to connect the edge switch with default priority to the “primary core”, will it cause the network to converge?

2. what if I connect the same edge switch to both “primary core” and “secondary core”, will it cause the network to converge as the edge switch is configure with default priority?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

of course it will converge . why do you think STP will not converge?

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Since you have configured your core with a primary and secondary, when you plug in the new edge switch, the new switch will converge, in that it will accept the core switche as the stp root, it will not cause any outages or downtime, so dont worry bout that!

You mention that you have priority 24577 on primary and secondary, you should really have the primary on a lower priority than secondary, will secondary lower than default.

Finally, if you connect the new edge switch not both primary and secondary, highly recommended, then STP will simply block the link to the secondary switch, and use the link to primary switch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

LR

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card