cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with AIX hosts

Tesco_SMG
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Has anyone had any issues with AIX hosts (badged IBM/Emulex HBA's) failing to flogi afterport disable/ enable or cable pulled/replugged? We are having to reset the HBA to get it logged back into the fabric. Windoze hosts behave normally.... Port stays at "init" until HBA is bounced....

Thanks

8 Replies 8

inch
Level 3
Level 3

G'day,

What version of sanos are you using?

Cheers

Andrew

3.2(3)

have you got persistent fcid's turned on?

yes. for all vsans

are all the HBA's the same brand and firmware revisions in the aix machines?

Can you shut/no shut the interface on the switch to "reset" it?

Cheers

Andrew

Just as an FYI, all pSeries servers from IBM use a rebranded Emulex HBA with IBM's special firmware on it.

From my past experience, when you plug in an HBA from an AIX host to a Cisco switch (my experience was solely with the 9500 series switches) and opened the port (either GUI or by doing a NO SHUT via CLI), the server would not do a FLOGI. I always had to ask the AIX system admins to run a CFGMGR on their side to have their HBA's power up and perform the FLOGI. If they did this step before the port was turned on and I turned on the port at a later time, the port wouldn't come up.

Here are the steps I always followed to get an AIX server to perform a FLOGI for a new install:

1.) Make sure the VSAN has persistent FCID's set. Someone stated this earlier but is only required for AIX 5.2 or lower. In AIX 5.3, you can change it so the the FCID wasn't stored in the ODM on AIX.

2.) Assign port to correct VSAN

3.) GUI: Enable port CLI: NO SHUT the port

4.) Ask your AIX system admin to run CFGMGR to have your HBA's turned on and perform a FLOGI.

5.) Make sure port comes online as an F port and not as an FL port. If it's an FL port, the AIX system admin needs to fix this on their end. Do not try and hard set your port on the switch to F as the HBA will never login until the AIX is fixed.

6.) Perform zoning tasks.

7.) Assign disk and ask AIX system admin to run CFGMGR again to perform a PLOGI to see it's disk.

Moving an AIX servers port is a whole other ordeal and if desired, I'm happy to detail the steps needed if anyone desires this.

Oh dear.

Sounds like we have our hands full with these AIX hosts - the windoze servers are no trouble at all! I would definately be interested to hear of your experiences / ordeals of moving the aix servers to new ports - we are actually planning that now!

Cheers

svobom
Level 1
Level 1

First I would document the IBM host OS release. Then I would try checking what the latest maintenace release notes.

The IBM driver and firmware is noramlly incorporated as part of the IBM host OS maintence release. You may have a HBA driver or firmware issue that could possible already be resolved in an IBM Maintence Release.

I suggest validating your hba hardware interface model number through the IBM command line then goto ibm redbooks and cross reference your driver and firmware revision against the latest IBM host OS maintence level and any related release notes.

I have seen issues where people have installed the emulex revision of the driver version and the latest IBM maintenance release revision of the driver which casues random issues only the IBM Maintenance Revision of the driver and firmware should be installed not both. hopefully that gives you some pointers.

thx

mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: