cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange Article !!

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi all, in my quest to find an answer to my confusion regarding frame-relay which i posted earlier, a friend send me an article which is really awesome, you must take a look at it.

http://wiki.nil.com/Next-hop_fixup_in_partially-meshed_NBMA_networks

Kindly look under this heading

Host routes toward next-hop router

"Earlier IOS releases allowed static routes to influence the resolution of the IP next-hop learnt from the dynamic routing protocols. IOS releases 12.4, 12.4T and 12.2S no longer utilize the IP routing table when building IP routing table and CEF entries for IP prefixes received via a dynamic routing protocol"

Do you guys understand what its saying ?, i really didnt get the statment, that for prefixes learned via routing protocol, router doesnt utilize routing table anymore, what does it mean ?

2 Replies 2

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all, in my quest to find an answer to my confusion regarding frame-relay which i posted earlier, a friend send me an article which is really awesome, you must take a look at it. http://wiki.nil.com/Next-hop_fixup_in_partially-meshed_NBMA_networks Kindly look under this heading Host routes toward next-hop router "Earlier IOS releases allowed static routes to influence the resolution of the IP next-hop learnt from the dynamic routing protocols. IOS releases 12.4, 12.4T and 12.2S no longer utilize the IP routing table when building IP routing table and CEF entries for IP prefixes received via a dynamic routing protocol" Do you guys understand what its saying ?, i really didnt get the statment, that for prefixes learned via routing protocol, router doesnt utilize routing table anymore, what does it mean ?

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

IOS releases 12.4, 12.4T and 12.2S no longer utilize the IP routing table when building IP routing table and CEF entries for IP prefixes received via a dynamic routing protocol"

In some cases before IOS releases 12.4, 12.4T and 12.2S you could override ip-next-hop by adding a specific static route, but now you cannot do that.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card