CCNP - Learning tools available

Answered Question
Jun 23rd, 2008

I am proud to have achieved my CCNA and I'm serious about the next step - CCNP.

I have started by begining to read the self study BCMSN book as to me, fully understanding MLS is a priority above BSCI. Of course I plan to move onto BSCI next and then ISCW followed by ONT.

My query is to those who have already obtained certification. When I succeeded in obtaining CCNA I did the bulk of study using online e-resources and I found this much easier than reading through the book's. I had to enroll at college to get access to e-resources but I mainly just self studied so the tutored lessons I had to pay for was a waste. Are there online CCNP resources I can pay for that you guy's could recomend and which I wouldn't have to enroll at some college or netacademy for? Any help/recomendations on good supplementary materials along side the CCNP self study guides would be much appreciated as I am dedicated to get to CCNP status. ie - Boson Netsim - Is this any good??

Many Thanks,

Carlton - UK

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by suelange about 8 years 6 months ago

I found Boson Sim a total waste of time on the CCNA, and I had the full blown version. I would not invest in that again.

BUT here are a few good links. Bryant Advantage (www.thebryantadvantage.com). He has excellent study materials, labs and the best part: pod rental time using real equipment. Your study course comes with 3 days rental and you can use his labs. Then because you will have time left over, you can just use the equipment to test various things you've read about but found confusing.

You can also do simulated routing with DYNAMPS/Dynagen. (http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator). Won't help with switches and you have to have your own copy of the IOS for the router but it's a sweet product, and the emulator is free. I have tested more stuff for my organization before going live by using this simulator..done lots of debugging on it too.

You can buy the Networks Academy material without having to sign up for class, check CiscoPress web site or Amazon.com and others. Among helpful stuff: CCNP lab portfolio, ISBN 978-1-58713-213-1. Gives you more practice but again you have to have simulator or lab pods somewhere.

I've seen lots of comments on CBTNuggets but I haven't personally tried it.

Then there are the usual places to get training, Global Knowledge has some Online and CBT courses that come with access to lab equipment.

HTH, good luck!

Overall Rating: 4 (4 ratings)
ccannon88567 Mon, 06/23/2008 - 10:11

Thanks for the info Colin - I don't work for a Cisco partner at the moment though, hopefully I will work for Cisco themselves one day! ;-)

Correct Answer
suelange Mon, 06/23/2008 - 07:52

I found Boson Sim a total waste of time on the CCNA, and I had the full blown version. I would not invest in that again.

BUT here are a few good links. Bryant Advantage (www.thebryantadvantage.com). He has excellent study materials, labs and the best part: pod rental time using real equipment. Your study course comes with 3 days rental and you can use his labs. Then because you will have time left over, you can just use the equipment to test various things you've read about but found confusing.

You can also do simulated routing with DYNAMPS/Dynagen. (http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator). Won't help with switches and you have to have your own copy of the IOS for the router but it's a sweet product, and the emulator is free. I have tested more stuff for my organization before going live by using this simulator..done lots of debugging on it too.

You can buy the Networks Academy material without having to sign up for class, check CiscoPress web site or Amazon.com and others. Among helpful stuff: CCNP lab portfolio, ISBN 978-1-58713-213-1. Gives you more practice but again you have to have simulator or lab pods somewhere.

I've seen lots of comments on CBTNuggets but I haven't personally tried it.

Then there are the usual places to get training, Global Knowledge has some Online and CBT courses that come with access to lab equipment.

HTH, good luck!

ccannon88567 Mon, 06/23/2008 - 10:09

Suelange - Many thanks for the detailed post! That's very helpfull information and you will have saved me £500 / $1000 dollars on the Netsim Software. I'll be sure to check out your recomendations.

Thank you,

Carlton.

rsvensson Tue, 06/24/2008 - 10:40

You can use ACM.org (Association for Computing Machinery). They offer online tutorials and "classes" from the same company that Cisco's PEC (Partner Education Connection), which happens to be Skillsoft. I joined AMC so that I could be part of a professional community. It costs 99$ a year, unless you are a student then it costs 19$ a year.

BTW, congrats on the CCNA. Keep up the motivation and good luck with your studies.

--Richard

rahmanya17 Tue, 06/24/2008 - 17:07

Hey! Well done! i just passed my CCNA last week as well! The feeling is ecstatic in it? You just feel like a very heavy load has been lifted of your shoulders! I must tell you I am also on the journey to start my CCNP, i am planning on using Bryantadvantage study guide and the post by the other chap who recommended Dynamips is a very good post as I have been considering that option as well!

All the best mate!

rahman

ccannon88567 Tue, 06/24/2008 - 22:58

Rahman - Thanks for the post. It is a great feeling when it all pays off isn't! I started a college course two years ago - first year was CCNA 1 & 2 and the second year was CCNA 3 & 4 so it has been a long time for me working towards it! I'm proud to say aI passed first with with 923 - The networking Academy is great as I have been taking regular end-of-module tests which helps prepare for the real thing. Although it is nothing compared to the stressfull environment of the real thing!

I read on another post that you did it in 3 months - way to go man! You should give yourself a pat on the back! :-)

I will take a look into the dynamips. I have taken a look into the bryant advantage as a lot of people here recomend it, although I must admit I think he has gone a bit over board with his marketing techniques - comes across more like a used car sales man than a techie with lines like "That price is guaranteed only through Midnight, June 24, 2008"!

I beleive if your product is good than you don't need the hard sales, the pointless quotation's such as "Did you ever see a virtual router in the comm's room" and gimmicks as most people who take these exams are inteligent people!

All the same because of all the recomendations I will be sure to give it a shot.

Thanks for the advice and congrats again on your CCNA!

Carlton

Actions

This Discussion