Views
Helpful
Replies

IP multicast routing redundancy

herve.durand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to deploy a L2/L3 switched based infrastructure that will provide the attached IP multicast fault-tolerant environment.

I have sources on one site multicasting a Video stream over dual Eth/IP ports. Each of these ports is connected to a separate Cisco Catalyst L2 switch (2960) connected via Ethernet transparent WAN links to 2 seperate Cisco L3 switches (3750) at a distant site.

I would like to deploy a fault-tolerant/redundant architecture that avoids loss of video stream in the event of a WAN link failure of Catalyst 2960 failure.

At the destination site, I have deployed a separate vlan for destination devices and run IP multicast routing to forward Video streams to them.

Whether using PIM dense mode or sparse mode, I do not succeed in recovering Video within a few seconds if I fail WAN link #1 or Catalyst 2960 #1. At best, it takes 3minutes to recover and I understand that this is the time it takes for the 3750s to clear the multicast route from its table.

Is there an obvious solution to bypass this issue that I might have missed?

To me the issue is not that of incorrect RP settings (I had auto RP configured on both 3750s using /32 IP addresses on loopback interfaces and it looked Ok), but that of having a fixed DR and a large mroute cache.

Clearly, Catalyst 3750 #1 can re-learn/re-discover Multicast streams via the 3750 interco; the question is how quickly can I get this?

Thanks for any replies.

Rgds,

Hervé

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please take a moment and read this document

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/tech/tk363/c1501/ccmigration_09186a008015e7cc.pdf

Your requirement are addressed on Page 18.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Ok, so anycast RP would be the solution? I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

Be aware that you are relying on the underlying L3 routing protocol with PIM multicast routing.

It is explained on that document.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: