CCNP Preparation Help!

Unanswered Question
Jun 23rd, 2008

I have a CCNA which I completed in 2006, when I was offered a free bootcamp style 2 week course which included both exams. Since then I have done very little with it, but have recently entered employment with a company who are very CISCO focused.

They are happy for me to pursue my CCNP, and will pay for anything I require. I have been looking at doing self-study and building my own lab..

To this end I am trying to work out which books to purchase, as I have seen there are Cisco Exam Certification books, and Cisco self-study books? What exactly is the difference between these?

Also do any of these contain lab's and lab exercises? The CCNA course I did furnished me with CCNA companion books and some paper based practice labs, where they literally told you everything to type and to jot down the expected answers..

Is there a CISCO self study equivalent to the companion stuff I did?

Also I am looking (At my employers expense) to buy a home lab... I am looking at doing it with an eye to the future (CCIE in R&S).. At the end of the day it will still be cheaper than sending me on a course for all 4 exams (Which they would do)..

Does anyone have any recommendations for this? I currently have only one 2950. I believe I need a 3550 at the very least...

Can anyone help me please!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jrensink78 Mon, 06/23/2008 - 11:22

Exam cert guides are typically more concise and do not veer away from test topics. Self study books are typically more verbose and may get into some complimentary topics that aren't specifically on the test. I recommend using both where available (BSCI and BCMSN). Personally I find multiple study sources to be helpful.

There are a few scenarios in those books. But if you want good lab material, get the Cisco Press Lab Companion books for the each test. They have lots of good lab scenarios to work through.

Figuring out a home lab has a lot of variables. Check out Wendell Odom's past blogs on NetworkWorld for his series regarding CCNP labs.

sachinga.hcl Tue, 08/05/2008 - 10:42

Hi Lawrence,

If you like to go for bootcam there is a very cheap bootcam for CCNP in INDIA at very low price as compare to the international market.

Kindly check the following site for your bootcam if you prefer as they give you all facilities to complete from practicl labs to the exams:

sachin garg

This Discussion