cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Callmanager and unity from 3.2 to 4.2

jcsmith96
Level 1
Level 1

I am evaluating the pros and cons of upgrading and existing cluster with PUB/SUB & Unity 3.x. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of either adding to an existing cluster or upgrading and what would be required for each.

9 Replies 9

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are going to upgrade, I would probably skip 4.x altogether and just go to 6.x with new hardware. Unless you are stuck on Windows for some reason for CUCM.

If you have a small config, I would BAT all phones/lines/users out of CUCM. Copy and paste the info into the new 6.x BAT template or CSV file and import to the new cluster.

Set a new dial plan, css, PTs, RPs, etc. Most customers I have had in the past wish they had a different dial plan or like to have it updated to run more effiecient than what someone did 5 years ago. Saves alot of time for the "upgrade" process. You are basically going new, but copy and pasting all phones, lines, users.

And it's a clean install. No worries about upgrade problems, etc. Run the clusters in parallel if you like, then cut over everyone when you are ready.

Unity, different story. I would backup the call handler greetings to WAV files, copy those off, create call flow diagrams of each call handler to rebuild and start over. It's not worth the time to run through the long Unity upgrade process in my opinion. The subscribers will need to recreate their greetings and personal settings, but in the long run, you will be better off. Their voicemails are simply in Exchange 5.5. ExMerge tool can extract that. You can then "exmerge" it back into the new datastore.

hope this helps

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp1168414

the only problem with the migration just using BAT would be the whole licensing, since there is no DMA it will probably be a lot of work to migrate all the phones to DLUs to the new system, just a thought

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

the last couple upgrades I have done, Cisco Licensing simply sends an Excel sheet and tells us to fill in the amount of devices. We fill it in send it back and they send us a license file. So Im not sure if that would be a problem.

Licensing seems to change from month to month. So this may work now, but in the future who knows.

What does the acroymons DMA and DLUs stand for

been a while since the last time i had someone doing an upgrade, nice it's not that hard to get all the licensing migrated, thanks for the update Tommer =)

DMA = Data Migration Assistant

DLU = Device License Unit

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Thanks for the help

Hi James,

DMA - Data Migration Assistant (is a Utility that migrates data for supported Windows CCM builds to new 5.x and 6.x builds.)

Data Migration Assistant User Guide

Release 6.1(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/6_1_1/dmaug611-pdf.pdf

DLU - Device License Units (this a the new Licensing model for CCM 5.x and 6.x. Each IP Phone has a set number of DLU's required for Licensing)

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Licensing Pricing Model

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Would either of these tools work for a migration to a 4.2. Would BAT be my best course for migration. Then what method would I use for the Licenses?

DLU is a concept you worry about when migrating to 5.x or 6.x, not in previous version.

DMA is also for same versions.

For that upgrade all you need are the upgrade discs that you need to order to do it

if you're not going to 5.x or 6.x you can disregard all the info on that.

if you check the compatibility matrix you will see your upgrade path, if you want 4.2 then you would need to perform 2 upgrades.

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: