Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Configuration

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hello All

I would really appreciate your help with this,I've been moved from the desktop group over to the network department and i just recieved my CCNA a month ago and i just took my first CCNP exam on saturday and my department has assigned me the task of configuring 8 4510 switches.They gave me a copy of a config off of one of the current switches.What i wanted to know is can you look at this and tell me can i just copy and paste this on the switch or what do i need to do to make this work on the new switches.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stephen.stack
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Well done on promotion and exams.

Fistly, becareful about posting entire configurations on this or any site. You passwords etc.. can be comprimised.

To answer you question... Yes, you can paste this config in to all the other switches. However, it may not take properly. i.e. depending on hardware configuration (where blades are placed etc..) the interface numberings maybe different and the original config will not paste in correctly. Also, if these other 7-8 switchs are being placed in the one network, you may want to configure diffrent ports on different switches for differnt VLANs etc.

Here is a better idea. First - take the standard settings out of the original config i.e. Services, Line settings, acls, time servers etc...

Paste those settings into the other switches.

Then depending on requirements, use the interface range commands to configure lots of switch ports together with the same config.

i.e.

interface range fastethernet 5/1 - 5, gigabitethernet 1/1 - 2

swicthport mode access

switchport access vlan 11

no shut

Hope this helps. (Please rate if it does)

Stephen

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

stephen.stack
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Well done on promotion and exams.

Fistly, becareful about posting entire configurations on this or any site. You passwords etc.. can be comprimised.

To answer you question... Yes, you can paste this config in to all the other switches. However, it may not take properly. i.e. depending on hardware configuration (where blades are placed etc..) the interface numberings maybe different and the original config will not paste in correctly. Also, if these other 7-8 switchs are being placed in the one network, you may want to configure diffrent ports on different switches for differnt VLANs etc.

Here is a better idea. First - take the standard settings out of the original config i.e. Services, Line settings, acls, time servers etc...

Paste those settings into the other switches.

Then depending on requirements, use the interface range commands to configure lots of switch ports together with the same config.

i.e.

interface range fastethernet 5/1 - 5, gigabitethernet 1/1 - 2

swicthport mode access

switchport access vlan 11

no shut

Hope this helps. (Please rate if it does)

Stephen

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

Thanks alot this really helped me get an undertanding of what i have to do.

Your welcome. Good luck with it.

Stephen

Thx for the good reply which i got form this article. but i want know how can i configure this above configuration in TXT sheet in switch.

Is it can be done by copying config command.

Plz reply i surely want to know this

Hi,

Not quite sure what you mean. If you want, you can type the commands in to a text editor and then copy those into the console or telnet session to the switch.

Otherwise you can create a full configuration offline (i.e. in a text editor) and then use tftp to upload to the switches startup configuration.

1. create the configuration offline ( interface range will not work here)

2. upload to the switches startup config using

copy tftp start

HTH

Stephen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card