WAAS / WAFS and hidden shares

Answered Question
Jun 23rd, 2008

It may be a strange question but can I preposition hidden shares on a WAAS device? I have tried manually entering in the share name in the "root share and directories" part of a preposition directive in the format /sharename$/

It seems that the preposition copies the files into the WAE's CIFS cache, but once I do that I can't access the files in the hidden share anymore.

My other question is once I preposition some files to my WAE is there a way that I can selectively delete items from the CIFS cache (I am thinking of deleting the files in that particular share if possible as a troubleshooting step).

Regards,

Peter

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Zach Seils about 8 years 5 months ago

Peter,

Yes, WAAS will pre-position hidden shares. Can you please elaborate on not being able to access the share after pre-position?

To your second question, there is currently no way to delete specific files from the CIFS object cache (other than deleting the file on the origin file server (from a session through the WAFS Edge).

Regards,

Zach

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Zach Seils Fri, 06/27/2008 - 02:15

Peter,

Yes, WAAS will pre-position hidden shares. Can you please elaborate on not being able to access the share after pre-position?

To your second question, there is currently no way to delete specific files from the CIFS object cache (other than deleting the file on the origin file server (from a session through the WAFS Edge).

Regards,

Zach

pthaynes Fri, 06/27/2008 - 02:39

Zach,

The files in the hidden share that we pre-positioned were for SMS packages. Once we pre-positioned them we were no longer able to deploy those packages to clients. I am a little suspicious that the real issue is with SMS - not the files themselves.

On the subject of deleting specific files in the CIFS object cache - is there any way to actually SEE the files that are in the cache, rather than deleting them?

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Actions

This Discussion