Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring ISDN backup link

Siamak.Mianji
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I have configured an ISDN BRI as backup link between two sites connected by a frame-relay link. One of routers in one-end was 2522 and was working fine. I relpaced this router by a 2611XM router recently, after replacement the backup ISDN link does not work.

The dialer interface has no been bound to BRI interface. I have two dialer profile: dialer1 and dialer2 to two different sites, diale 2 is bound to BRI0/0:1 but dialer1 is not. with old router (2522) both dialer interfaces are bound to BRI interfaces.

Thank you in advance for any advise.

Siamak

8 Replies 8

shillyar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please send in your confs and debug isdn q931 and debug ppp nego and debug ppp authe from both ends if possible.

Thx Steve

Hi Shillyar,

Thank you for your rapid respinse.

At the moment I have only configs of two routers and the output of show interface dialer1 and dialer2. (The attached files).

Regards,

Siamak

Hi Siamak,

On hostname r00569 your missing dialer-list 2

try adding that and see what happens

Thx Steve

Hi Steve,

I added the dialer-list 2 but no difference.

#dialer-list 2 protocol ip permit

TNX

Siamak

Hi Siamak,

Can you please run the q931 and ppp debugs so we can see what going on.

also sh isdn status shows L1 and L2 up and multiple frames established on both side id assume ?

Thx Steve

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I had to leave customer site, and I do not have access to that router until next Tuesday (1st of July). I will collect the debug information and will send them to you next Tuesday.

Many Thanks,

Siamak

Hi Steve,

Thnaks a lot for you help.

I am in customer site and the attached files are your requested info.

Cheers,

Siamak

Siamak

The information that you posted is helpful. I wonder if there are several issues involved. But the most important issue would seem to come from r00583 where the debug clearly shows an incoming call being rejected because the router is already busy with a different call. This router has a single BRI and 2 dialer interfaces. Dialer 1 is backing up the Frame Relay and Dialer 2 is not a backup and operates independently. At the time when you attempt to make a call for backup the Dialer 2 is already busy with a call.

I believe that if you check you will see that Dialer 2 is busy pretty much all the time because as it is configured EIGRP is active on the dialer interface (there is a network statement in EIGRP for 192.168.55.0) and the dialer list/dialer group does not exclude EIGRP as interesting traffic. I see an access list 100 which may have been part of the dialer list at one point and would exclude EIGRP as interesting traffic. But the dialer list at this point is a simple protocol ip permit.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card