Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP find / track

towli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

Is there by any chance, a command you can use when logged in to a switch/router to discover if there is a dhcp server nearby - and the address of it(meaning a functionality like the small cute program "dhcp find").

Best rgds.

/Jan

6 Replies 6

foxbatreco
Level 3
Level 3

Pls try with sh dhcp server n let us know if it works.

Hi Towli,

Let's make it more clear, why would you like to do so? are you facing a DHCP spoof attack? please calrify the main request so we can find an easy solution. but for this request I guess there is not such a tool.

B.regards,

I have been asked to find out wheter there is a dhcp server present on different locations. I thought i somehow would be able to clarify this by logging into a cisco device and "scan" the interface for dhcp servers (much like Roadkill's Dhcpfind).

I guess this is nut the case then?

(Thank you anyway! ! !)

/Towli

Hi

It works and i doesnt. Upon typing it shows "0" (zero) all over (leases, offers etc.) even though i know there is a Dhcp server nearby.

It's close to what i am looking for :) is there an alternative?

/Jan

You can use WireShark on a machine that is receiving the DHCP replies. Just look for the DHCP reply packets. When you isolate these look at the source address. You can do a traceroute of the source address to determine what routers/L3 devices you are going through to further isolate where the DHCP server is located on your network. Happy hunting!

Hope this helps,

--Richard

Thanx

Unfortunately you need to be logged in to a machine to run wireshark (and hence bother a user on the location - we are talking about 10 seperated locations spread around Copenhagen). I thought i would be need to just be able to log in to a Cisco box and check it transparent for all users.

I guess this cant be done.

Thank you for preplying - its need to have you all at hand and i will try to contribute to this forum in the future, if i can be of any benefit.

/Towli

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card