cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.0 upgrade OS from 2000 to 2003- Have new Hardware

mdury
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what the safest way to perform the following upgrade would be?

Currently have Unity 5.0 (win2K) with Exchange2003 and Failover configured.

I want to just upgrade the OS on the Unity Servers to Windows 2003.

I have an identical pair of Unity servers I can rebuild.

How can i do this safely while keeping the production system intact? I read alot of the docs, but I would like to see if someone has done this. Thamks

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you would need to have a small network on which to connect the new server if you plan to keep the same ip addressing.

do a DIRT backup from production, install W2K3 on new server, install unity and then DIRT restore.

then you would need to swap servers

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jaime,

when i load Unity on the new server as you suggest, does it matter that I am not connected to the Active directory/ and mailstore? will DIRT overwrite any temporary settings?

When you load Unity, you have to connect to the AD directory, etc. The way mentioned above is implying that you are install the same Unity version on the NEW unity server with the NEW OS. For example, if you are running Unity 4.2 on the old server, you can install 4.2 on the new server THEN do an inplace upgrade to 5.x.

The way I prefer to install Unity servers now, if it permits, is to use Cobras Tool. You can install your new server, 2003, and Unity 5.x. Then use COBRAS to extract everyone and everything out (with exceptions) then import them into the new Unity server. You will need to rebuild a few things, but it's a great tool I think. Although not TAC support yet, Im assuming by late summer it will be because of the push of Unity 7.x.

The other way is using the Globals Subscriber Manager. You can network the old and new Unity servers, and move subscribers at your leisure. Use Cobras to migrate the Call Handlers and you are set to go.

DIRT of course is the safest and recommended way.

process in short:

- build your new Unity server with platform disc.

- Add to domain

- install Unity 4.2, same SQL version everything the same as the old server. (server names can change, thats ok and IP address if needed)

- DIRT backup old server

- DIRT restore into old server DIRT basically matches the Alias of the Subscriber and looks for a match. If it finds it, links everything up for you. (does not create new AD and Exchange accounts if there is a match)

- check your integrations, etc.

- inplace upgrade to 5.x

- Unity MS patches

Remember to bring over your old License from the 4.2 server. you will need to have licensing@cisco.com *rehost* your old 4.2 license to the new MAC address of your new server. On top of that, you will need to register the 5.x upgrade PAK key with the new server.

hope this helps

Tommer,

I am actually just upgrading the Unity OS to 2003 Server. We are already at 5.0 I would imagine the process is still the same?

Thanks so much

So if you are upgrading the OS to 2003, you have to wipe the box, insert the platform discs and install.

So DIRT Export everything. (if you have offbox Exchange, voicemails are not needed

If possible, purchase a new set of drives and keep the old ones for backup. Backup license files also.

Reinstall the OS, Unity 5.x,

DIRT restore

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: