Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie needs help with his ASA 5510

quinfilipowicz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm not a networking person at all and don't know where to look. We have an ASA 5510 and I want to see who is streaming video and surfing unmentionable sites. Once I find out who and where they are going, I eventually want to block those sites. We are a small 60 employee company and that T1 is DOG slow at times. Can the ASA 5510 help me with want I want to do? If not, are there any cheap solutions?

Thanks,

Quin

4 Replies 4

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

You can capture realtime ASDM logs into a syslog server but you will have to go through links where users visit, obiously this could be a long tedious task , you may consider looking into a more inteligent devices to do it for you such as the CSC-SSM add-on module.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6823/index.html

Rgds

-Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Yes, you will have to go through the logs and find the IP address/ domain names/url's/ ports where the users are connecting to..

Then you can -

- block the IP's/ports using access-lists

- block the domains/urls with specific expression like "xyz.com" or ".mp3" using regular expressions

Isn't there a way to see the NAMES of the domains? I don't want to have to sort through IP addresses to see which ones are legit. If not, is there a software package out there that reads this information and converts the IP addresses into Domain Names?

Thanks,

Quin

You might want to consider adding a specific web access tracking product like Websense. It can filter and block sites by category and log access. It is compatible with ASA.

This will save you a lot of log file diving. There are enough inappropriate sites out there that when you block them manually you might never finish.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: