Switch Recommendation for Small Business

Unanswered Question
Jun 24th, 2008

Hi everyone,

I am helping support a small business who has 1 server and about 20 computers. They currently have a 24 port NETGEAR switch that all the computers are networked into. This switch then connects to a business class cable modem for Internet. The problem is this NETGEAR 24-Port Gigabit switch keeps locking up every couple of weeks and we have to power it down and reset it. It's getting pretty frustrating and I was wondering if the problem is, its just not durable enough, although the traffic isn't overwhelming, but I seem to have this problem with NETGEAR or Linksys switches. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, more reliable 24 or 48 port gigabit switch from Cisco that we could plug into the cable modem? Any advice would is appreciated!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
michaelchoo Tue, 06/24/2008 - 20:19

For Cisco product, I'll go with Catalyst 2960. Although it's more expensive than Catalyst Express 500 series. I have a pet-hate towards web-based switch config! Still CLI person myself. :-P

There are other real business-grade switches too, such as HP ProCurve or 3Com. Between these two, I'd prefer HP, if nothing more than because the HP commands are almost identical to Cisco IOS. :-P I think HP licensed some parts of Cisco IOS for their ProCurve. The last ProCurve I used (6 years ago) even ran CDP!

This Discussion