Unanswered Question
Jun 24th, 2008

I have recently posted with requests for additional materials for CCNP studying and suelange replied with some usefull materials including the

However, I have just ordered the the BSCI & BCMSN "self study" cisco press guides but I was shocked to find that Cisco Press do not offer any study guides for the ISCW and ONT exams? This has puzzled me - why do Cisco not offer the study guides for the last two exams? Only Exam certification guides are available.

Even the BryantAdvantage only offer study guides for BCSI and BCMSN but not ISCW and ONT!

I dont understand - could somebody please shed some light on this for me?

(any info on different vendor self study guides would be good too)!

Carlton - UK

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
cyphur353 Wed, 06/25/2008 - 04:07

My personal opinion - there is far less material to learn for ONT and ISCW, and the exam cert guides pretty much cover the exams(at least when I took them last year). For BSCI and BCMSN, the self-study guides went into more depth and detail than the exam cert guides, they went past the exam and really pushed the technologies. For ONT and ISCW, these tests are brief overviews of many technologies where they don't delve as deep in the exam. QoS, wireless, some security, but none of it is covered in the same depth as say OSPF or EIGRP is on BSCI.

If you read the books thoroughly, and augment that study with some lab time, you should be fine.

ccannon88567 Wed, 06/25/2008 - 06:03

Thank's for the post Cypher. Does this mean that the tests are easier for the ISCW and ONT then? Or have they made up for the lack of course content with tricky and more comples Q's??

brianjpisa Wed, 06/25/2008 - 11:22

For the ONT exam, the Cisco Press exam certification guide is enough to pass. I thought it was the easiest test. The ISCW is a different story. There is some missing topics and topics that are not as in depth in the training material than what is on the test. I actually thought BCMSN was a bit easier than the ISCW because of the lack of training material.

ccannon88567 Wed, 06/25/2008 - 12:34

Great information and much appreciated thanks. What source did you end up getting the extra information on the missing topics for the ISCW though??

brianjpisa Wed, 06/25/2008 - 12:49

I used the exam certification guide, the quick reference sheets, and any advised that I found off netpro. They have sample questions in the CCNP prep center and I did some searching on google for free sample questions. It also helped that I work ASA/PIX firewalls a lot, so I pretty much knew a lot about the vpn/security topics.

jrensink78 Thu, 06/26/2008 - 05:35

FYI, the Bryant Advantage does have the ISCW and ONT study materials now. I bought the ISCW stuff. I'm reading through the Cisco Press book, so I haven't gotten to the Bryant material yet. I was hoping that it could help out where the Cisco book was weak.

This Discussion