cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with WLC Software Release for mesh topology ?

ivan.grancharov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all ,

I have WLC 4402 with software version

4.1.192.22M (Mesh). My access points are Aironet 1252 and are already LWAPP. I know that 1252 AP in LWAPP is not supported with

WLC 4.1.192.22M (Mesh) software version. The question is which software version i have to upgrade my controller , so i can use the Aironet 1252 LWAPP in mesh topoly ? Please advise which version is best for the 1252 in features , stability , etc.

Thanks in advance.

16 Replies 16

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think the new 5.1 that will come out later will support the 1252. For now, the 4.1 code does not support the 1252.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Very soon, say by fall of this year, the MWSH train and regular train will come back together. This new version of code will also move everyone pretty much to a CAPWAP methodology of control. This version will support the 1252. Until then it will be hard to do full blown MESH.

whoa! i've wlc 4.1.181. will this be able to support mixed modes (mesh and non-mesh)? can this mixed modes reside in one controller?

The 5.1 train will merge both the mesh and non-mesh...... but since this is new, you might want to wait until this has been out a while before you try to roll it out in a production environment. Just my opinion though.

-Scott

thanks, fella5!

but with my current ver 4.1.181, will mixed modes be supported?

this i can verify today bec we are going to test the mesh ap's. will it be all right if i just place the ap's on the ground 20m apart and antenna facin up? what is the min and max distance for the the 11a so the ap can comm well?

What version are you running? 4.1.185 or are you running a mesh code? I don't see any 4.1.181.... You can't have mixed mode until the 5.1 code comes out. If you are running the mesh code, you can have the ap's apart as far as you get good signal on the backhaul link.

-Scott

i upgraded the wlc's to this >> AIR-WLC4400-K9-4-1-181-0.aes.

ok thanks! will try to check the mixed mode on this version. post the result later...

Check that version on CCO, I don't see that in any of the downloads. Unless they pulled it.

-Scott

If it is in fact 4.1.185 it should work but you will only have those features. You will not get any of the benefits for indoor that the 4.2 and above codes provide. Bear in mind that like Scott stated, the new code(5.1)is NEW. It is a maintenance release type of code but has several changes. It is the remerge of MESH and the introduction of early CAPWAP. I will take a wait and see approach on this code if I were you.

code 4.1.181 works with mesh, too! as verified by the test made. did it with a rap and a map which were laid down on the ground of a hallway, 10m apart and antennas pointing up. unfortunately, map loses its hearbeat with rap over 10m. is it because they are not properly hang? will try to do a proper site survey next week. complete with all the hanging materials, pick-up truck and other outdoor wireless stuff.

some questions:

1. is it all right to connect the rap on th client's wlc, which is already servicing clients? won't the users/wlan be disturbed?

2. how to put only one 'survey' ssid to these ap's (rap and map), and only these two ap's will broadcast it? tried creating one ssid and enabled wlan override on these ap's but still the indoor ap's are broadcasting the ssid. if wlan override is set on the indoor ap's, they need to be restarted. which is a bit risky. is there any other way?

thanks!

Well it worked huh.... If you got it to work, I don't see why you can't connect the rap to the wlc. As for the wlan override, you will have to restart the ap. Why don't you just use an existing ssid if you are going to just survey. Or just create survey and dont' broadcast it. Not like you are going to have it there for a long time. No one will know.. :)

-Scott

actually, with the airmagnet, the client survey wifi card fails to assoc if the ssid is either:

(1) not broadcasted

(2) with an encryption

not sure why this happens.

encountered this? any ways around this?

need to use an ssid that is broadcasted and w/o security.

anyways, i'll just create an ssid and bind it to a 'dummy' interface.

Haven't had that issue with AirMagnet....

-Scott

really.. good for u.. :)

btw, N wlan project is coming. do i need to have separate site surveys for n and g? No idea about n yet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card