Replies

Fragmentation problem with Wlan Controler 4402 due to LWAPP header overhead

miloskv
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I have following situation.

network---wlan controller4402----FW1---MPLS---FW2---Access points----networks

I can see very big amount of fragmented packets coming to FW2 and getting dropped in one moment. After those packets get dropped, access points get disconnected

I wonder, is there any documentation, or maybe some of you guys can give me some tip/trick how to set up WLC4402 to use TCP MSS, PMTU or any other settings that can help that IP Datagrams between 4402 and access points don't go over 1300B

Thanks a lot for any help

Regards

Milos

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't know if the FW will let you do that, but maybe take a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080901caa.shtml#frag

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

I'm a bit confused watching this document you gave me. I don't know which part of it can be related to prevention of IP Fragments between controller and AP-s.

Problem is that controller is located on one side of the network, and we have FW (non cisco), MPLS network, other FW and then APs

other FW across MPLS receive a lot of fragments, which of course should be defragmented for session inspection, so this leads to large CPU utilization and fragment drops.

If we can instruct controller to set MSS bits or to be involved in PMTU, then we could try to prevent end hosts to ever create large TCP/UDP segments/datagrams to be sent via LWAPP tunnel

Thanks for any advice

Cheers

Milos

Well the problem is that it was designed for AP to WLC locally and not really accross a WAN, unless you implement H-REAP. There is no configuration to set on the WLC nor the AP to change this at all Since the WLC knows how to put the fragmented packet back together.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card