Views
Helpful
Replies

Antennas "e plane" and "h plane"

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Does anyone care to chat about what the above is ? It is all in double-dutch?

I just want to ensure that if I am designing a radio network, I need to understand the antenna paterns.

Does every single antenna have an E and H Plane?

Does anyone have any good links?

Many thx indeed,

Ken

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The 5959 antenna has two antennas built into one unit. This give you the ability to use diversity. The 5145 also has two antennas, but since the 5GHz 5145 has the same pattern, they show only one. It can be how the antenna is made or the housing it's in that throws off the pattern. Remember, 5GHz is more susceptible to attenuation than the 2.4GHz. Just read up on antenna patterns if you are really interested in knowing how the come up with that.

horizontal/azimuth plane

vertical/elevation plane

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

good docs man

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ken,

I have to agree Scott, (sweet docs!) +5 points for your always helpful info. I just thought that I would add this doc that does show these patterns in most if not all Cisco Antennas;

From this Antenna reference guide;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Scott. This is an excellent doco also - many thx

Question on this - the air-ant5959 which we are using for 2.4gHz shows left antenna and right antenna patterns. with both planes on? why is this?

the other antenna I am using AIR-ANT5145V-R shows the Azimuth Plane Radiation Pattern (H plane correct) and the Elevation Plane Radiation Pattern (E plane correct).

Why are they different.

I am really sorry, the only antenna I have ever seen before wifi was my stereo and i know not much about any of this stuff?

Many thx indeed,

Ken

ps. 5 points. now i just gotta go and read it all. Its a big old doco :)

The 5959 antenna has two antennas built into one unit. This give you the ability to use diversity. The 5145 also has two antennas, but since the 5GHz 5145 has the same pattern, they show only one. It can be how the antenna is made or the housing it's in that throws off the pattern. Remember, 5GHz is more susceptible to attenuation than the 2.4GHz. Just read up on antenna patterns if you are really interested in knowing how the come up with that.

horizontal/azimuth plane

vertical/elevation plane

-Scott

Thx mate

Here is a great link for you!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/prod_white_paper0900aecd806a1a3e.html

-Scott

Mate, SPOT ON :))

That is a great link. Its making my brain blue screen a little but has all the info you need :)

Many thx indeed,

Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: