What Devices are Needed for BCMSN (642-812)

Answered Question
Jun 25th, 2008

Hi

For me to get ready for BCMSN, can you tell me what devices are needed?

1) Do I need a wireless controllers? If so what's model that you would recommend? I saw the lab diagram in Cisco site, it recommends a light weight wireless controller.

2) Do I need a Aironet APs or can I use some other brand APs. If I need Aironet, what model that you would suggest?

3) Can I use 3550 & 2950 switches or do I need 3560 & 2960 switches? If so, how many should I have minimum to have a good lab?

Thanks in advance!

Correct Answer by jrensink78 about 8 years 8 months ago

Do NOT waste your money on a wireless controller or access point for study purposes. It is such a small part of the test for how much you would have to spend (close to $1000). You could take the test 6 times over for that amount of money. Just read about them in the Cisco Press books and you should get by well enough.

I used 2- 3550 and 2- 2950 switches in my home lab for the BCMSN and that worked great. You don't need the 3560/2960 models. This setup let me follow along with pretty much all of the labs in the Cisco Press Lab Companion book. Also, having 2 of each lets you create a full switch block.

Good luck in your studies! I really enjoyed that test.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
jrensink78 Wed, 06/25/2008 - 04:55

Do NOT waste your money on a wireless controller or access point for study purposes. It is such a small part of the test for how much you would have to spend (close to $1000). You could take the test 6 times over for that amount of money. Just read about them in the Cisco Press books and you should get by well enough.

I used 2- 3550 and 2- 2950 switches in my home lab for the BCMSN and that worked great. You don't need the 3560/2960 models. This setup let me follow along with pretty much all of the labs in the Cisco Press Lab Companion book. Also, having 2 of each lets you create a full switch block.

Good luck in your studies! I really enjoyed that test.

omal Wed, 06/25/2008 - 05:05

Hi

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice! I really appreciate it.

Good luck in your future!

cyberpimp28 Mon, 06/30/2008 - 07:42

hmmm...thanks so much for the advice. I've got to go shell out money for some extra kits. Do you know of any online shops (ebay) that can provide these devices.

I've already got a 2950 switch as well as a 2900XL but I understand it's best to use 2950s. Can I use my 2900 with the 2950 for BCMSN? This means I'm going to need 3500s. Your advice will be most appreciated.

Actions

This Discussion