CCNA and CCNP

Unanswered Question
Jun 25th, 2008

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask if it is necessary to be a CCNA in order to appear for a CCNp exam. I did my CCNA 4 years ago and as i understand it is only valid for a year or 2. so now if i want to give my ccnp exam do i need to give ccna again..

plz update..thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
rsvensson Wed, 06/25/2008 - 07:19

Mohammed,

The CCNA exam is valid for three years, and yes you can sit down for any professional level tests without the prerequisites completed. However, you will not earn your professional level certification without the prerequisites being met. In essence, if you pass all of the CCNP exams, and then pass the CCNA, you will earn both the CCNA and CCNP at the same time.

I am currently pursuing my CCNP as well, and my CCNA expired just a week ago and I just passed the BCMSN this Monday.

Good luck with your studies, and hope this helps,

--Richard

mohammedanasshaikh Wed, 06/25/2008 - 08:01

hey thanks a lot for your help...and congratulations on clearing the first paper.. i m pannin to start my studies for CCNP as well , since u jus gave the paper u would be the best person for ne quesries, Richard could you please tell me what study material did u use to clear the exam and is there any way i could get it. Also how long did it take u to prepare for the first exam... would appreciate ur reply

Mohammed Anas

rsvensson Wed, 06/25/2008 - 08:52

Mohammed,

I used the CiscoPress Official Exam Certification Guide (4th Ed) ISBN: 1-58720-171-2;

However, I have heard and read from numerous people and posters that the Self Study books are far more superior. They actually help you understand the topics more in depth which will not only help with certifications but will help with knowledge and retaining the information.

That is the main source, however, I did take advantage of the Cisco PEC (Partner E-learning Connection) to do some more self-study. They use SkillSoft for online courses. It is pretty much an interactive powerpoint presenation in flash, nothing too fantsy.

If your employer is not a Cisco Partner and you do not have access to the PEC, then another option is to become a member of ACM (Association of Computing Machineary) and take advantage of their skillsoft partnership. They use the same skillsoft material as on the PEC, but it is available to the public with a 99$/year payment. Plus you get access to virtual books from Books 24x7.

Also, I started studying in early Feb, however, it was off and on, and I really hit the book hard early May.

My biggest motivation was that my CCNA was expiring in early June.

Nonetheless, good luck with your studies and be sure to be confident with each of the exam topics/subtopics on the certification page.

Hope this helps,

--Richard

mohammedanasshaikh Wed, 06/25/2008 - 10:03

hey richard,

thanks a lot for the information. Actually i am completely unaware of all this. what exactly are the self study books, wher can i get them?

rsvensson Wed, 06/25/2008 - 11:46

From what I have gathered, and not from personal experience, the self study books go more in depth over the topics covered in the exam compared to the official exam certification books.

Goto ciscopress.com and search for your book certification and exam (ie: ccnp bcmsn); after the search completes and it shows your results be sure to look on the right hand side (it will have some options), and click on the box indicating "Products" and click "Search Again", this way it will show you only the books and not sample chapters and such. Next find the one that states "(Authorized Self-Study Guide)". You may find numerous editions of this, so look for the latest and greatest. Next click the link and look for the 10 digit ISBN of the book.

Finally goto a few online sites to purchase the book. I only use half.com (Ebay sponsored site) and Amazon.com. Put the ISBN into their search fields and find the best prices!

Search for CCNP BCMSN at ciscopress.com:

After doing the search and checking the option and clicking the "Search again" button, I found the 4th edition to be the very last link. The ISBN was 1-58705-273-3.

Results of search of ISBN on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Multilayer-Switched-Authorized-Self-Study/dp/1587052733/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1214422968&sr=11-1

Results of search of ISBN on half.com:

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ57094555QQcpidZ1377581598

Good luck and hope this helps,

--Richard

Actions

This Discussion