cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting from hybrid CatOS/IOS to Native IOS

zzbronski
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 6509 switches with single SUP2 engines (WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE) with PFC2 and MSFC2 in each switch. I want to convert to native IOS on these switches and add redundent SUP's for failover. However, the spare SUP's I have are the same as the ones in production but do not have the MSFC2 router feature card installed.

Is the MSFC2 router feature card necessary when adding the redundent SUP's that don't have that installed? Can I still function the same after the conversion with out using the MSFC2 feature?

3 Replies 3

To run Native Mode IOS on a Catalyst 6500 Supervisor (whether it is active or standby) you must have all three components - Sup, PFC & MSFC. You can upgrade your two production Sup2's to Native IOS, however the spare ones you have will not be able to run IOS unless you add MSFC2's to them.

In a redundant system both Supervisors have to be identical.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

HTH

Andy

I have since found out that our spare SUP's do in fact have the pfc2 and msfc2 cards installed. However, they are not being seen with the version of CatOS currently in production. When I load the latest IOS on them then you can see the msfc2 daughtercard along with the pfc2 card. But my other question is.. how do I get to the command line of the msfc2 from the L3 switching engine when it is running IOS?

Do you mean 'how do I get to the command line of the MSFC2 from the L2 switching engine?' If that is the case you can use the command 'session 15' from the CatOS CLI (or session 16 if the Sup is installed in Slot2). If the MSFC2 is not operational (i.e. at ROMMON) then you can use the command 'switch console' from the CatOS CLI, to exit from this command though you need to hit and ^ three times ( & 6).

HTH

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card