cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to measure the current speed of a link

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

pls i have a link that is 128 kbs , i know how to get the amount of load passing thru, what i dont kow is how to measure the current bandwith

7 Replies 7

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, you will need a netflow analyzer software program to help you measure the bandwith, you can try the link below it is free. HTH

http://www.paessler.com/

Optimize Your Network With Network MonitoringWith PRTG Traffic Grapher you will have access to bandwidth and network usage data that will help improve the performance and efficiency of your network. Understanding bandwidth and resource consumption is the key to better network performance management. You can avoid bandwidth and server performance bottlenecks, plan upgrades of your infrastructure strategically, and deliver improved quality of service to your users. Learn more.

You can get a decent count from show interfaces.

Reliability of the interface as a fraction of 255 (255/255 is 100 percent reliability), calculated as an exponential average over 5 minutes.

txload/rxload=Load on the interface as a fraction of 255 (255/255 is completely saturated), calculated as an exponential average over 5 minutes.

reliability 255/255, txload 17/255, rxload 5/255

Divide 17 by 255 and multiply by 100 get the percentage of the link being utilized (TX only).

If you want to graph this over time, PRTG is good application, all though it uses SNMP and not Netflow to collect the data.

Hope that helps.

PRTG or a collateral SW from the same firm supports netflow also, and that is what is used when you want to know "what" is using BW beside merely "how much".

You can also get Netflow from the router without an application.

http://packetpros.com/wiki/index.php/How_can_I_enable_and_view_Netflow_on_my_router%3F

I do that on some sites. Only, it doesn't produce nice charts for customers, these they can show to executives and random visitors :)

Come on, ASCII isn't pretty? Like in the old days when people would set the login banners with cool art.

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Download Solarwinds WAN KILLER SOFTWARE, adjust speed and generate traffic. Speed will spike uto maximum bandwidth or throughput.

- Dharmesh Purohit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card