802.11i Robust Security Network (RSN) framework

Unanswered Question
Jun 25th, 2008

Hi Guys,

So the RSN defines 5 phases. I was just wondering if i could clarify a couple of points after reading most of the important parts of the doc (I think).

What I life I have :)

Lets say we are running WPA2 with EAP-TLS

Phase 1 - Discovery

Under this phase, is any security actually done here, or does it just exchange its capabilities between the STA and AP?

NOTE: After this phase is completed, the STA does not show up in windows as being connected correct?

Phase 2 - Authentication

At this stage, the eap-stuff is done, ie, exchange certs and all that jazz, with a radius server etc.

Note 1: at this stage, none of the PMK, PTK, GTK, key exchange mechanisms has happened yet, SO I can still see the TLS stuff un-encrypted in my packet capture correct?

NOTE 2: I still dont see the windows wireless network connected yet from my laptop. Would that be correct?

Phase 3 - Key Management

This is now where all the keys are exchanged that now protect all of my data and take the PMK and generate the PTK and then starts to encrypt my data from the STA to the AP?

NOTE: This is where my windows laptop pops up with a nice message saying aquiring IP address and then the magic "Connected"

Now, have I got this completely wrong.

I am a tad confused.

Many thx

Ken

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
kfarrington Thu, 06/26/2008 - 00:08

Hi all,

Did a bit more reading last night and still a tad confused at which point, the PC shows the "connect" status.

So much contradicting infor on the www :)

Thx

Ken

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network