Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1252 5GHz antenna will not enable

Tempest8008
Level 1
Level 1

I have attached a screenshot.

I am running this unit using a power injector. I have no power issues, and the 2.4GHz antenna is up and running fine.

I have the 3 antennas installed on the 5GHz transceiver, and don't see any other problems in the setup...but I cannot enable the 5GHz antennas.

All the manuals advise is to enable the antenna (as you can see, I have) but I get no response, and the antenna's hardware/software setting still shows Down/Disabled.

Any idea what I'm missing?

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to make sure you have an ssid also configured on the 5ghz side or else the radios will be down. Associate your current ssid on the 2.4ghz and check the box that shows the 5ghz.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Fella.

That seemed to do the trick. Although before enabling the SSID on the 5GHz antenna I had to get into the encryption levels and set those first.

Not very intuitive, but still, I got it to work.

Now any idea why my Thinkpad T61s (with the latest drivers) are only seeing that 5GHz antenna as 802.11a? And yet connecting to it at 54MBps (which is impossible for 802.11a)?

I've confirmed with IBM that their latest software supports N, and have seen screenshots of others showing N connections, but no joy on my end.

But that's perhaps a different issue for Lenovo/IBM.

My CISCO issue is fixed, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again.

You can connect on the 5GHz at 54Mbps, especially if you are close to the ap. if you do a show ip int brief on the cli, do you see both radios up. You can also use the gui. As for 802.11N support, what wifi card is in your T61s. You might not have the card that supports 'N'. Also you have to configure the AP to use 40mhz channel width to see speed up around 300mbps.... more like 280mbps.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

make sure that your antennae are tight and try re-seating the radio module on the unit

I had the bandwidth set to only 20Mhz on each unit.

I have now set the 2.4Ghz to "Below 40Mhz" and the 5GHz to "Above 40Mhz".

The Wireless adapter in the T61 is a "Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN" and it says it is rated for 802.11N and should be able to access it. It has the latest drivers.

I'll test again and let you know my results.

Thanks for all your help.

Oh, and the antennas are tight, and all modules are seated well. I have the 5GHz up and running now, just working on bandwidth issues now. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card