cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix Loopback??

jdlampard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 515E running 7.2(2) with two interfaces. This firewall is the default gateway for all internal systems. I have an inside host with a static translation... ACL allows access to this host from the Internet. What I need, if possible, is to have *internal* clients access the host using it's public address.

^scratches head^

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

JD

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

You may want to look into hairpining with static nat, take a look at this link mid way down.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00807968d1.shtml

Rgds

-Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

You may want to look into hairpining with static nat, take a look at this link mid way down.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00807968d1.shtml

Rgds

-Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Hairpinning provides the necessary access. Thanks for your prompt response, Jorge!

-JD

Jonathan, glad it worked and thank you for the rating.

Rgds

-Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

goulin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am not sure if it would work, but can you setup a static translation from the internal interface to the internal interface and map the internal IP address to the IP? I tried to enter the command on a production ASA running v7 code and it didn't complain that I was doing a NAT on the same interface. I haven't tested if it works though.

If that doesn't work, my suggestion would be to setup the server on a seperate VLAN to the rest of your internal network and change the internal interface to use trunking, that way you should be able to setup NATs from the 'internal' interface and from the 'external' interface with the same IP address to the 'server' interface, and not have to use any other interfaces.

That is assuming that you are not using the external IP address of the PIX for the static translation. If you are using the external interface IP for the translation, I am not sure if it will work.

Anyone else with suggestions?

I appreciate your response.

I followed the hairpinning configuration sample in the link that Jorge supplied and it worked exactly as needed.

All clients, Internet and internal, access the host with the public (NAT) address. I verified with traceroute and by simply looking in the Pix's log.

-JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card