Views
Helpful
Replies

General Question about route-maps and AD

jamesawoodward
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am studying for my CCNP and have had a few questions that have been helpfully answered by people here. I am very grateful that you all are here and that you share your expertise. So . . . thanks and cheers for that.

The question I have is this:

Why can a route-map not set the Administrative Distance? It seems like a very useful thing to be able to do, especially when redistributing between protocols. If I want to redistribute between RIP and OSPF, and I want to avoid sub-optimal routes, it seems that I have to configure both "distance" statements and "route-maps" to accomplish this.

Is there value to my question, to my desire to be able to combine the two actions into one route-map? Is there a good reason why AD cannot be set or changed within a route-map statement that I simply just don't know about? Or is this simply an unimportant side-note that I have grabbed on to but that really has no significance in the real world?

I appreciate any and all feedback!

Jim Woodward

5 Replies 5

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

Most OSPF networks also use RIP to communicate with hosts or to communicate with portions of the internetwork that do not use OSPF. Cisco supports both the RIP and OSPF protocols and provides a way to exchange routing information between RIP and OSPF networks.

Refer the url below for more information about "RIP and OSPF Redistribution":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/design/guide/nd2014.html

------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for replying, and thank you for the link. The redistribution described uses distribute lists to avoid routing loops . . . My question was actually whether it would be useful to be able to "set" the Administrative Distance via a route map when redistributing between protocols - or even in Policy Based Routing.

And my question is more of a theoretical question, as opposed to an "I don't know how to do this, please help me".

So - does it seem like a good idea to be able to set administrative distance via a route map statement? Does it not matter at all? Or is there some reason that this is not an available option and can only be set via a "distance" statement under the routing protocol?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Woodward

james ,

it seems a like nice thing to be able to do, set admin distance in route-maps as oppose to having to enter 2 commands. I wonder if this is something someone in TAC can answer?? or could this be a recommendation for future IOS releases?

As a side, when are you planning to take the BSCI? I've got my planned for next Fri...man am i dreading it!

Hey - a fellow CCNP student! Very cool. I plan to take it the following friday, July 18th, actually. I am dreading it too, but not nearly as much as I was before. I know my weaknesses - Multicast, IPv6, ISIS, and redistribution (a little weak, for now) - so that's what I'm focusing on.

btw - I found the Cisco Hands on Training podcasts on Itunes or at the website by the same name - they really helped me alot. His extensive (EXTENSIVE) use of the sho commands really made the OSPF LSDB one of my favorite things to study/learn. If you haven't heard of them - you may want to give it a look.

Good luck next Friday - I look forward to hearing how your test goes!

Cheers!

Jim Woodward

Good luck guy's, i have my BSCI booked for the 28th July, starting to get a bit nervous myself!

Those links sound interesting, will check those out...

Cheers

Jonathan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco