Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity4.X Upgrade

islam.irshaid
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

can i upgrade Unity4.X to 5.X directly without UCSS ?

Regards

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Islam,

An upgrade from 4.x to 5.x is considered a "Major" Upgrade and does require UCSS or the older SASU support :)

Definition of a “Major Application Software Release Upgrade”

A major software release is indicated by the first number that identifies the software version. For example, for the product X.Y(z), X identifies the major

Major release upgrade example (covered under UCSS):

UCM 4.1to UCM 5.0

Minor release update example (covered under Operate Services):

UCM 5.0to UCM 5.1

From this good UCSS doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns394/ns165/ns737/net_presentation0900aecd8063dc83.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks, but why i have to buy ESW ?

Hi Islam,

Good question! This does get a tad confusing. Think of ESW as a replacement for the old "SAS" support level. This is required to protect you for ongoing day to day support. This includes Tac Support and access to Software patches. It also allows for Minor upgrades like Unity 4.x to 4.2 but not 4.2 to 5.x (where UCSS fits in);

Cisco Unified Communications Essential Operate Service

The Cisco Unified Communications Essential Operate Service provides software updates to make sure your applications run smoothly and are always up-to-date. You also gain 24-hour access to a team of Cisco engineers and certified partners that can quickly identify and resolve Cisco Unified Communications application software problems. This team is highly trained, has a deep understanding of Cisco Unified Communications application software, and offers expertise based on extensive experience evaluating the performance of complex communications systems.

Depending upon your service contract, Cisco support engineers might also provide assistance with Cisco hardware components. This service protects you with advanced hardware replacement should a device or system fail and provides software updates to make sure applications run smoothly and are always up to date.

The Cisco Essential Operate Service includes capabilities similar to the Software Application Support (SAS) offering.

Cisco Unified Communications software-only application support includes:

● Full-time telephone and remote technical and maintenance support services

● Maintenance and minor release updates

● Cisco.com knowledge base, including access to Software Advisor, Technical Assistance Center (TAC) Case Collection, My Tech Support, Output Interpreter, peer-to-peer online forums, and the TAC newsletter

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/services/ps2961/ps2664/services_data_sheet0900aecd8042826b.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

yes, but i have the SNT contract, then i can open any case with the TAC engineers without ESW. !!

is this true ?

also could you please inform me if i can upgrade the Unity without ESW (when i have the UCSS for such upgrade) ?

Thanks Rob.

Hi Islam,

You are most welcome :) Because you already have Smartnet support, ESW will replace this in "name" only. This is a replacement not an add-on. This is just part of Cisco's ongoing changes of product names. You won't have to pay for both Smartnet and ESW. ESW with UCSS just replaces SAS and SASU.

Hope this helps!

Rob

We have Unity 4.0.5 on a really old Cisco server and we are looking

at renewing the Tac support for one more year since next year is the last date end of life

We've got the following quote

Quantity 300 ESW UNITY-VM-USR  $2,400

Quantity 1 ESW UNITYU4-100USR  $1,350

If I only want TAC, do I need to pay two ESW??

First, there is no more upgrades that can be done on this server since the old hardware is not supported.

What are the 300 units?

Please any help will be appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: