Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel Loadbalancing

arulgobi1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to setup the ether channel & load balancing between 7200(NPE400,FA I/O controller) - 2950 switch. The setup works well for ether channel setup, my problem is load balancing between Router -> switch. In the 7200 router the "port-channel load-balance" is not available. any suggestion is it possible to do for egress traffic from Router?

5 Replies 5

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, anyway without trunking Etherchannel works well. But the load balancing only gave the problem. I need to load balance from router to switch. The other way works well, when loadbalacning by src-mac.

src-mac is the default load balancing method. so your layer 2 etherchannel will use by default.

1)you mean in both Router & Switch?

2)But actually I need the dst-mac/ip based load balancing from router side.

R Fa0/0 -> SW FA 0/10

R Fa2/0 -> SW FA 0/11

but those commands

(port-channel load-balance

{src-mac | dst-mac | src-dst-mac | src-ip | dst-ip |src-dst-ip}) are not available in the Router(7200 NPE400) . Is this a IOS feature ?

Thanks for the quick response.

regards,

My understanding is if you have a layer 2 port-channel connection in your case between the router and switch then the loadbalancing method should be use is either src-mac | dst-mac | src-dst-mac since you are dealing with mac addresses at layer 2. if the connection is between two routers for example is layer 3 port-channel then you will have to use src-ip | dst-ip |src-dst-ip. I dont think you can use both dst-mac/ip based load balancing on your router ast the same time.

I dont know much about the Router(7200 NPE400) but i believer the reason the port-channel loadbalacing command is not availabe might be because the forwarding method for layer and layer 3 for port-channels is done dynamically.

Maybe someone can shed more light on this discussion.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card