cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Channel Bonding

joemarr_brodart
Level 1
Level 1

I posted this question on another forum but recieved no response. I thought maybe this one was more appropriate.

I have several servers that we are about to deploy Oracle RAC to. Each of these servers have 6 NICs. We would like to take 4 of the NICs and dedicate them to the RAC interconnect in bounded pairs. I would like to bound 2 NICs (for ~200MB of throughput) and connect them to 6509E and configured the other 2 NICs and connect them to another 6509E for failover purposes. I would like the VIP IP to be used on all 4 NICs.

I would suspect that I would use LACP on the switch side, but what would I need to do on the server side? Im using Broadcom NICs, and was hoping to use a kernel mode driver (vs. the Broadcom software). Is this a common practice?

Also, are there any switch configuration settings for tweaking performance (other than jumbo frame support).

5 Replies 5

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

You are right that the best way would be to use LACP. On your server side, the option will probably not be called LACP, but 802.3ad.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin,

your correct it would be 802.3ad. In order to get the RAC VIP on to the ports, I would need to create a single bond group for all 4 ports on the server side. Can I then split them so 2 ports are on each switch?

Mmm, not sure how you do that on the server side. I know how you bond the NICs, but not how you get two bonded groups. If I get a chance, I shall ask one of the server guys today.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

You cant (well not if you want to use the same IP across them).

My thought was to create 1 group of 4 on the server, and then create 1 group of 2 on each switch. I'm just not sure of the impact.

That's unfortunate. I don't think it's going to work then. Are you running VMware by any chace? If so, you might be able to do something with the virtual switches.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card