- Bronze, 100 points or more
hi every body1
can any body help with the following questions:
1) when we enable vtp, which version is used by default?
2) what happens if we enable vtp version 2 on one vtp server switch in a domain
all the other but one support version 2?
will the version 1 be used because one switch does not support version 2?
3) Assume vtp pruning is enabled
let say we have a switch with following active vlans . vlan1,2,3,4
if i configure the command :
switchport trunk pruning vlan 4
Will this command cause switch not to include vlan 4 in vtp joint message though vlan 4 is active in the switch ?
thanks alot !
1) When VTP is enabled its VTP verison-1 These days it may depend on ios also
2)When you enable VTP version 2 on a switch, all of the version 2-capable switches in the domain enable VTP version 2.
Also A VTP version 2-capable switch can operate in the same VTP domain as a switch running VTP version 1 if VTP version 2 is disabled on the VTP version 2-capable switch (VTP version 2 is disabled by default).
3) Yes Vlan 4 will not be included in vtp joint message.
Hope this helps,
By defualt VTP 1 is enable. enabling vtp 2 on the server switch when others don't support version 2 will cause a replication problem (VLAN database replication). By enabling prunning (ideally on the server switch) vlan 4 which you prunned will not be carried on the trunk link. Prunning is basically used to let the switch know it shouldn't carry vtp information for vlan 4 across the link you configure it on.
(If this helps please rate. Thank you.)