cisco vc/isdn vc gateways

Answered Question
Jun 26th, 2008

Hello. We are trying to put together the recipe for a video conf gateway to a legacy tanberg vc unit. I want to face the vc unit via its isdn bri ports, be able to connect to it via cisco video phones, AND still be able to have the vc unit dial out via isdn to offsite locations. I think I need a gateway with 6 bri ports, 3 to face the vc unit, 3 to face the public pstn, and an ethernet port to face the cisco network. OR do I need 2 gateways, 1 with 3 bri to face the vc, and another that will be the pstn gateway for my cisco call manager AND allow this vc gateway to call out. Any ideas?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Paolo Bevilacqua about 8 years 5 months ago

Hi, you can mix PRI and BRI in the router as you wish, and it will route calls without any problem. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00804794c6.shtml

I do not recommend that you use an IP/VC because is not made for what you want to do, beside the router now has video codec support as mentioned above.

Thanks for the appreciation and good luck!

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 06/26/2008 - 16:47

Hi, you can do that with a 2801 and 3 x VIC2-2BRI, plus a minimum of a PVDM2-16.

That would allow you sharing the 3 PSTN BRI for both VC and CM.

Then if you add other VC IP units you should be to connect to existing unit, as IOS has now support for video codec over ISDN as well over H.323.

please rate if it helps!

mddrouillard Thu, 06/26/2008 - 17:27

Perfect.

And continuing, if I am faced with a vc unit that does not have bri ports, but rather a single T1 port expecting PRI, I could simply use the 2801 with a 2xViC2-BRI (4ISDN ports) and convert the legacy vc unit using a

"Cisco IP/VC 3530 Video Terminal Adapter (VTA)

The Cisco IP/VC 3530 VTA is a self-contained video interface that connects one H.320 system to an IP network. It

allows companies to protect their investments in legacy technologies while implementing new IP-based multimedia

communications. The Cisco IP/VC 3530 VTA connects an H.320 room system to a LAN and converts it to use the

H.323 protocol. It offers two V.35 WAN interfaces, EIA/TIA-366 signaling, a 10BASE-T LAN port and operates at

speeds up to 768 kbps. It comes in a low-profile desktop or rack-mount package and is easy to install."

If my telephone provider provides me with PRI instead of individual BRIs a 2801 with a PRI card, and the VTA for the legacy VC could be used to route vc calls to the vc unit.

Does that all work?

Michael

Correct Answer
Paolo Bevilacqua Fri, 06/27/2008 - 04:26

Hi, you can mix PRI and BRI in the router as you wish, and it will route calls without any problem. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00804794c6.shtml

I do not recommend that you use an IP/VC because is not made for what you want to do, beside the router now has video codec support as mentioned above.

Thanks for the appreciation and good luck!

Actions

This Discussion