cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

List addresses 'rejected as invalid recipients' ??

I'm wondering how to use the CLI to generate a list of e-mail addresses that were rejected as 'invalid recipients' from specific mail servers?

We have some mail servers in our organization used for testing that send mostly legitimate mail, but also some invalid recipient mail to our IronPort. I can see in the 'Incoming Mail' reports that those specific servers are delivering lots of e-mail to 'invalid recipients'. I want to help out the admins of those servers by providing them a list of the 'invalid recipient' e-mails that are being generated.

IronPort support gave me the following query to use, but it returns 0 results, even though I can see in the 'Incoming Mail' reports that they are submitting thousands of invalid recipients per day.

grep -e "@edmunds.com.*rejected by Recipient Access Table" mail_logs

No results were found. Use another regular expression(s) to search.

Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Try a case insensitive grep. I forget what the option for that is, but it's probably -i.

If that doesn't work, then download one of the log files to somewhere where you've got better tools. Then figure out exactly what regular expression will match, and use that in the CLI. There's probably some subtle error with the regex you're using, like a minor wording or spacing error.

karlyoun
Level 1
Level 1

Try a case insensitive grep. I forget what the option for that is, but it's probably -i.

If that doesn't work, then download one of the log files to somewhere where you've got better tools. Then figure out exactly what regular expression will match, and use that in the CLI. There's probably some subtle error with the regex you're using, like a minor wording or spacing error.

As usual, Don gives good advice. The -i flag is your friend, unless you are sure of the capitalization of what you're looking for.

Also, the exact message may vary by version. Here's what I got on one test system:

grep -i "@example.com.*Rejected by RAT" mail_logs

Thu Jun 26 21:45:26 2008 Info: MID 67 ICID 10 To: Rejected by RAT

Karl Young

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: