cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Run DIRT more than once or only a "clean" system?

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For some reason I thought you could run DIRT as many times as you want. For instance, I have a Unity server at the primary site. At the DR site, I have another Unity server for Cold Standby. I basically just run DIRT everynight, and have it import on the other side. The problem is that the flags get thrown because the Unity system already has data in the system from a prior import. Dirt has no way of overwriting that information??

My other hunch is that I would need to use Cobras now. DIRT once, then Cobra for incremental updates (once a week, etc)

Any input deserves points! (yes I read the help file on ciscounitytools.com!)

thanks all!

8 Replies 8

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

You can do a DiRT backup everynight to the same place, I know cause I do.

You can't DiRT restore more than once. that has to be on a clean system.

rlp

I just followed the help file and videos on ciscounitytools.com. You do have to do a DiRT backup successfully once to be able to schedule.

It is under options in the backup tool.

Yeah, I know I can run the backup a zillion times. The restore is the problem. A wise person pointed me to the help file at the very end which I missed somehow on the TAC supported commands. There is a switch to restore to "dirty system" instead of clean. I have to try it in the lab and see what it does.

cheers

I just tried /dirtyrestore on my 5.x system and it didn't even work.

I used to use it on 4.05, never used it on 4.21

hope this helps some.

rlp

i have a 5.x system. backed up with DiRT and then restore to a new 5.x system and it worked fine. was there an error?

did you use the dirtyrestore switch? yes there was an error, it said I had to restore to a clean system and that is the point of the switch. :-)

rlp

Oh you are saying the "dirtyrestore" switch did not work with 5.x you had to go back to Dirt 4.05 to make it work?

yes, that switch worked for me on 4.05, I never tested on 4.21, and 5.01 it does not work for me.

rlp

The version of Unity shouldn't come into play - just checked the code and tested it on my CU 7.0(1) install (I don't have a 5.0) - and it works ok - if it sees "dirtyRestore" on the command line then it skips the dirty check (i.e. it doesn't care if there are objects in the DB or not). That check is only made in one spot in the project, that error message only pops up there and the check for the command line option is done right there and does not care if the version is 4.0(5) or 5.0 or whatever.

something else is going on with your setup if you're seeing it bark at you about the database not being clean - either the option is not spelled right or is not being passed in properly or something... not sure.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: