cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to assign IP addresses to ports on the HWIC-4ESW module?

dvangyzeghem
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

I ordered a HWIC-4ESW module for my 2821 and want to use the ports for L3 point to point connections to my other routers but i cannot assign an IP address although the commands are available.

I get a message that it canot be configured on L2 links.

When i try the NO SWITCHPORT command , i get the message : this is not a convertible port.

Can someone confirm to me that it is impossible to make this a L3 link?

Or is there some cammond to convert it.

Thank you all in advance

1 Accepted Solution
7 Replies 7

rskrzek
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

set up Interface Vlan X with IP Address and bind interface to this vlan

regards

romek

Thanks Romek

I will try this , it seems to be a valid workaround.

Does any one foresee anby possible issues with this workaround?

Thank you

Hi,

You may face performance degradation when using SVI interface. Also not all the features are supported in SVI interface.

http://cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/prod_white_paper0900aecd8064c9f4_ps5854_Products_White_Paper.html

The above link will help you understand what features are supported in SVI interface.

Hi,

The module you are referring to HWIC-4ESW is a layer 2 switching module which is equivalent to a 4 port layer 2 switch.

Consider it as a 2950 or a 2960 switch with just 4 ports which is connected to a router over trunk.

The interfaces on this module have the layer 2 functionality which you have already identified while configuring it.

Its not possible to convert it into a layer 3 module However if you want to terminate a layer 3 link on that module you need to use the SVIs.

I have seen this setup working using SVIs at few of my customers who orderd this module by mistake assuming it to be a layer 3.

-> Sushil

It like any other layer 3 type setup , the hwic is layer 2 and you do have layer 3 functionality thru SVI configurations . It works fine we have a number of them and use it feed subnets off of it . Just create the vlans in the vlan database and then create the SVI for that vlan and put the port on hwic into the vlan you want it to be in . Any device hung off that vlan will have a default gateway address of the SVI.

Thanks all for the helpfull reply's.

I still have an issue , no i what to do if i want to use this card, but if i do not want to use SVI's, what WIC card should i order.

I have been looking on the Cisco site but i cannot find a layer 3 ethernet module for a Cisco 2821.

Can anyone help me please?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card