cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on a Cat 65K

paulhardy
Level 1
Level 1

No sure if this is the correct forum but we are prepping a network for Voice and making sure all QOS requriements are set correctly setup.

We have a network of CAT65K with SUP720. We will be enabling MLS QOS on the switch which will set all ports to untrusted (unless specifically configured for trust) and reset the cos to 0. We will be applyinga specific policy map to normalise all incoming traffic and rely on default egress queuing on various blades fro egress traffic.

My question is - we have OSPF and BGP packets flowing through the switches. These will be marked with the TOS field for DCSP and I wanted to know if we need ed to reclassify these packets.

My concern is based around the fact does the switch port remap all cos and dscp mappings to 0 on an untrusted port including the internetworking and networking protocols.

Let me know your thoughts.

4 Replies 4

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi!

the following link will give details on the way qos works with control packets :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk544/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094612.shtml

The packets are originated be the router and it ises a internal header with a field called PAK_PRIORITY which is set to high among RIP,OSPF EIGRP packets. This tells the router to give higher priority during queueing.

Regards,

Niranjan

(pls rate if helpful)

Interior gateway protocols usually adequately are protected with the Cisco IOS internal PAK_PRIORITY mechanism. Exterior gateway protocols, such as BGP, are recommended to have an explicit class for IP routing with a minimal bandwidth guarantee.

iptlearner
Level 1
Level 1

Also, to assure yourself you have strict queuing in place, you can follow the QoS baseline as outlined in the QoS SRND which is linked below.

Your OSPF and BGP would be marked as dscp CS6/CoS 6; spanning tree CS7/CoS 7.

For more info from the QoS SRND, please see the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/solution/esm/qossrnd.pdf

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, if you have any frames/packets that flow through devices with CoS/ToS markings that you wish to preserve and/or use, then you need to be careful of just blindly remapping all inbound tag frames/packets unless you completely analyze and retag outbound. The reason for having tags at either L2 or L3 is to avoid the need for each hop to fully analyze the traffic. I.e. ideally, you normally do analysis at the edge, and trust markings from that point onward. Of course, this doesn't preclude remarking if necessary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: