CCIP is it worth it in the Real World?

Unanswered Question
Jun 27th, 2008

Hey all,

I can see from the exams that needs to be taken and passed that the CCIP is great for internetworking but my question comes from real world experience. I work as a Network Administrator and have my CCNA I am looking to do more networking which would put me in the mind set of a CCNP or now that I look at it a CCIP due to my company looking to do more QoS and managing MPLS, to a lesser degree though. So I was wondering should I branch out to get the CCIP or stick to my plan of a CCNP or should I get both if it isn't too tiring... Thanks for the responses.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ryancantor Fri, 06/27/2008 - 09:26

I have both and I think they are both absolutely worth it if you are interested. It really depends on what you already alluded too, personal preference and job requirements. It sounds liek your job is requiring you to have CCIP style skills so obviously there would be a benefit there.

One thing is for sure, you ever plan on taking the CCIE R&S track, you'll thank yourself for having that CCIP.

yutingsun Fri, 06/27/2008 - 12:44

Thanks for the reply ryancantor,

I have not planned on taking the CCIE, I mean it is not in my near future but I will consider it after I get the current cert out of the way. May I ask what is the total test you had to take to get both as I know some test overlap and how much depth has gaining both certifications helped you in your field?

Thanks again!

echelon360 Tue, 07/22/2008 - 21:49

For me,i wished i had more exposure to MPLS & TE. I cleared the CCIP mid of last year and although i did have exposure to alot of BGP.I just wished i had more on QoS and MPLS.

It would have helped in further enhancing the certification.

It's great if you get to put to practice what your studying. Else, it tends to just be a waste or easily forgotten.

hermyones Fri, 07/25/2008 - 00:01

i think CCIP learn deep more about internetwork ex. BGP, IGP advanced (ex. redistribute).

MPLS in CCIP not deep more about this technology, still many technology about MPLS not learn in MPLS CCIP ex. ATOM, CSC etc.

This Discussion