CCNA skipping DHCP?

Unanswered Question
Jun 28th, 2008

I'm just getting into Cisco and am prepping for the CCNA. After reading through the ICND1 and ICND2 Cisco Press books I didn't see anything about DHCP, everything used static IP addresses with static netmasks and default gateways.

Is DHCP covered in the CCNA or is that a CCNP topic?

Is it industry standard to run DHCP servers on routers or to use an external server?

Let's say I'm running a few vlans with a router-on-a-stick configuration to route between them. It would make sense to put the dhcp server on that router, and I suppose in order to give out the proper IP addresses it would have to be manually configured for each sub-interface that is associated with each the vlan. Is that correct?

What if instead of a router-on-a-stick I were using a layer 3 switch, or in a larger network with possibly a few layer 3 switches. In that case where would the dhcp server be located?

Since this topic wasn't covered at all I'm thinking I don't really need to commit it to memory for the test, but it's been bugging me for a while and I wonder about it each time I look at a network diagram in the books.

I'm hoping my question made sense. Thanks.

-- Michael

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
cyphur353 Sun, 06/29/2008 - 04:05

DHCP begins as a CCNA topic, and is covered on up through CCIE.

Taken from the CCNA blueprint: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-802.html

Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network.

* Describe the operation and benefits of using private and public IP addressing

* Explain the operation and benefits of using DHCP and DNS

* Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)

* Implement static and dynamic addressing services for hosts in a LAN environment

That covers DHCP. If your study materials do not cover DHCP, I suggest adding some additional materials to your list. Once you study and understand DHCP many of your questions will be answered.

Actions

This Discussion