With the new cost of CCNA, why not go ICND1 + 2??

Unanswered Question
Jun 28th, 2008

It just seems like with both paths costing 250.00 why would someone take the composite exam rather then break it down into two tests? Im trying to decide what to do myself so I am genuinely curious....

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
compsolv Sat, 06/28/2008 - 17:34

Yeah - I agree! If you are really, really, really great at networking already and you are not wanting to waste extra time testing, then the combo is for you. For most mortals, we enjoyed the baby steps.

Anthony J Sequeira

www.freeiestuff.com

mlaforest Sat, 06/28/2008 - 17:57

Crap, I checked a few days ago and it was only $150, oh well.

I'm in the same boat as you (I just got into Cisco a couple months ago). I think I'm just going to study as much as I can and take the 640-802 CCNA though. Either way you have to learn the material to pass right, so why not just learn it all and get it out of the way on one swoop? For me the testing center is a good hour drive, so I'd rather just have to make that trip (hopefully) once.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is time, and maybe a sim question tripping me up. From what I hear the ICND1+ICND2 track gives you much more time, but if you know the material well enough it probably won't matter much if you're a little more rushed.. or does it?

cyphur353 Sun, 06/29/2008 - 03:32

Save time - not sure about you, but every time I have to take a test, I have to block off about 3 hours between the actual test and traffic to and from.

wannabccna Sun, 06/29/2008 - 16:38

I think it's easier to digest one exam than the two together. I failed the 640-822 today with a 714 (needed 804)my problem? Didn't watch the clock. I called in the Vue and when setting up my exam asked the lady how much time I was given and she said 110 minutes. It's 90 minutes and I found out the hard way. I ran out of time and I know it's my own fault. I actually felt good about the exam but spent to much time on some of the questions like the simulations. When time ran out I still had like 8 or 10 questions left. Needless to say I was bummed and think I would have aced the test had I skipped the one I was one and hurried through the rest.

Well I hope I helped someone out. Watch the clock. I got 100% in 3 areas. 90% in one area and 62%, 55% and 39% in three other areas. I can't help but think I was on my way to acing this exam only I let myself run out of time.

Later,

wannabccna

rsvensson Tue, 07/01/2008 - 05:59

When I first took my CCNA (3 years ago), I took the composite. Here is why:

The composite and each of the ICNDs each have the same number of questions and timeframe to take. This allows the ICNDs to go more indepth of the topics covered, rather than a general overview, which the composite does.

Take it from me, I passed the 640-801 with a 937.

I respect everyones opinion here but I would agree with the persons who say to take the two test approach. Here are a few reasons:

1. Price is the same so why not. Yes, if the composite was 200 versus 250 then I would take the composite. But, for the same price... hell I dont mind limiting the questions to something more specific than an overall of ICND1 and ICND2.

2. Focus of study. Instead of focusing on routing, switching, cabling, etc... why not just focus per test. CCNA is considered one of the hardest tests for Cisco (other than CCIE of course) because it has so many different subjects to learn. Why not halve those subjects?

3. Short term goals. By breaking the tests in half... you are usually more excited to get that easy first pass and then get motivated to do well on the second test. Plus, if someone fails the composite test... they may be demoralized and go back to just take the two method test in the first place. (Im not a psychologist of course but that is something that has made my decision for me.)

Overall, my personal experience is for me to get my recertifications. I have 5+ years experience with Cisco but it doesnt mean I know I can pass the test how Cisco wants me to pass it. I realize in my own mind that I know how to perform LAN troubleshooting and WAN troubleshooting but I need to make sure to not waste money on failing a test for not answering it the Cisco way. Unfortunately I cannot give a good story in regards to why I let my certifications lapse other than me complaining why I didnt take this test a month sooner! (So I am not paying 250 and should of paid 150. LOL) But, if we are all in this boat... then I might as well get over it and do it.

Either way.... good luck on your test(s) and I will take my tests! :)

Actions

This Discussion