Help me decide which track to follow.

Unanswered Question
Jun 28th, 2008

I am an undergraduate student studying electronics and communication, now in the final year of the college. Apart from electronics, I have special interest in computer programming, networks and security. I am good at programming, currently participating in Google Summer of Code, .

I have been interested in Cisco technologies since long, I did CCNA certification 4 years back, just after school, but couldn't recertify because of lack of time.

A year from now, I would be applying for jobs, so I wanted to know what Cisco certifications would suit me the best. I want to be able to achieve some professional level certification in an year, and wish it be related to security or programming or both.

Which one out of CCNP, CCDP or CCSP or some specialized certification track will suit me best.

Into college, I am not much aware of the job scene and what certifications would be congruent to my interest.

Security specially interests me but lack of proper training equipment in my locality will be a problem. Should I go for designing track, or choose security track, or switching and routing would be better.

Which track has best job prospects.

Any specialized certification that will help me get a good job ?

Guide me here.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
gpulos Mon, 06/30/2008 - 02:53

From what you've mentioned and what you state you like and are good at, I'd say the CCSP is a track that will suit your current ability and desire.

Once you have that, it is only a few more tests to obtain the CCNP & CCDP which will be good for a start of your career.

Ultimately, a CCIE will benefit you to untold levels if you desire to stay in the Cisco networking field.

(this will likely require a few years hands on as well as heavy indepth studies & preparation)

joaquin48 Fri, 09/26/2008 - 06:33

Going for a CCIE will most likely assure you good $$$ and a fun job, IF you have experience with cisco devices. But passing the CCIE is a task that will require you to have experience on the job already.

So, I would recommend you taking the CCNA again, getting a job where you deal with cisco on a regular basis, and then start taking your cisco exams towards higher certifications.

If you like the security arena, probably Security+ and CISSP will be a good choice, but again you also need some hands-on experience to pass those.

I can tell you something for sure: there are good $$$$$ in it,

Good luck,

dwgray0422 Mon, 09/29/2008 - 04:33

Certification is not a good substitute for experience. It's great to have a certification path and career goals in place so early, but before you make a final choice you may want to get a job in networking and get some insight to the functions of each specialty.

This Discussion