Failed the CCENT today :( Bummed out

Unanswered Question
Jun 29th, 2008

Well I took the 640-822 and failed with a 714 and needed a 804. My problem was I ran out of time. I had 8 or 10 questions left to answer. I felt good about the test and thought I was doing really well until I ran out of time.

This was my first test with Cisco and I have to say I think the test really tests your knowledge to see if you know the material. My problem was figuring out how to get through some of the type of questions. I did watch the demo at the beginning but it's a little different when you have to actually do it. At least I now know what to expect and hope to ace my next attempt and will speed through it faster next time.

Good luck to all that take their next exams.

wannabccna

Overall Rating: 0 (3 ratings)
k.janowski@pocz... Mon, 06/30/2008 - 05:11

Hi,

I took this exam 3 months ago and managed to pass. Just one advise which comes to my mind is to use packet tracer4.11 if you cannot practice on cisco devices. I spent a lot of time studying for CCENT but at least half of that time (or even 2/3) was on packet tracer doing different configurations and simulations.

Good Luck!

wannabccna Mon, 06/30/2008 - 05:19

Thanks,

I have Packet Tracer and use it a lot and feel comfortable with moving around with a router and switch.

It was just the exam router interface I was a little confused about. Also many of the questions I had actually had mutliple questions inside of it. The exam to me really had at least 70+ questions. With 90 minutes you really have to fly through the exam.

This is the first exam I've ever taken and didn't finish the test.

Next time I'm going to fly through it.

Thanks again.

ss7tek@hotmail.com Fri, 08/08/2008 - 09:36

Awesome! That is great affirmation! A friend of mine download Packet Tracer 4.11 on my PC probably 6 months ago and now that I'm finally studying for the CCNA it has been very helpful.

Thanks!

daniel.lukic Mon, 06/30/2008 - 05:44

Hi,

i took that exam on friday and passed with 974 pts. (56 questions). As a non native english speaker (i'm from germany) i had an extra 30 minutes. But i managed to finish the exam with 45 minutes left.

I prepared for the exam by using:

- Wendell Odom's ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide

- CCNA TV (which gets you started very fast on technologies like STP, VLAN, VTP, routing and subnetting)

- ICND1 practice questions from CCNA prep center

- Quick learning modules from CCNA prep center

- Lab Simulations from CCNA prep center

The CCNA prep center is a very good resource, it's in fact one of the best web sites i know.

I took every module of the ICND1 practice questions several times, to make sure i am able to answer these questions very quick. And with at least 90% of the questions answered correctly. The questions helped me to discover my weaknesses and to determine on which topics to focus my learning.

Hope this info helps you to pass the exam.

Better luck next time!

Regards, Daniel

wannabccna Mon, 06/30/2008 - 08:04

Hi Daniel,

Thx for the response. Wow I can't see how anyone could finish so fast, but great job! I have viewed some of the CCNA TV video although I didn't try any of the practice questions. I'll give them a try.

I own Wendel Odom's ICND1 and have read it more than once. I've also read Todd Lammle's and liked it too. I don't think it's so much not knowing the answers although I did have to think on a few of them. I think I was just too cautious. My first time to take a Cisco test and I have never taken one where you couldn't go backwards so that made me more cautious. I think I was on my way to acing the exam or close to it but just let the time get away. Next time I'm going to just whiz through it. Now that I know how to manuever through the questions I'll be better prepared I think.

Where in Germany are you? I use to live in Darmstadt when I was in the Army.

Have a great day,

wannabccna

daniel.lukic Mon, 06/30/2008 - 16:29

Hi,

i've seen almost all CCNA TV videos, i love them. They provide a good explanation of the technology and the most important commands for configuration, reviewing the operation and for debugging. A very convenient way to learn about networks. Thank you, Cisco Systems!

When i took the practice questions the first time i was very cautious as well. In my case, i realized it's because i didn't feel confident enough. So i decided to take the practice questions over and over again until i'm able to answer at least 90% right. Every time i repeated a module i felt more confident answering the questions. I believe confidence is the key to answering the questions in a timely manner.

I highly recommend to do the lab simulations as well.

And have a good night sleep before your next attempt!

Regards from Bielefeld,

Daniel

wannabccna Fri, 07/11/2008 - 05:46

Hi Daniel,

I have retaken the exam last Monday and scored 1000 out of a 1000. The exam was pretty straight forward, I just had to move faster and not worry about not being able to go back since you can't.

I had 15 minutes to spare and feel glad I aced it.

Thx

VadimKozmenko Wed, 07/16/2008 - 14:16

I also failed to pass this exam (first time).

I ran out of time and left 20 (of 56) questions unanswered.

Also I found at least one question, which is not covered by textbook (Cisco Press ICND1). The question was about to perform initial router configuration. But network addresses in this question use VLSM (this was not covered in textbook). So I was disappointed.

Second problem was with router terminal window - echo was ~ 10 lines down and invisible for me. Very inconvenient. I should press Enter key 10 times to see console output. This is some kind of bug - I can't change terminal window size.

So, my advise is to write down pre-calculated tables for subnets and binary operations. This should allow you do not spend much time for subneting calculations.

VadimKozmenko Wed, 07/16/2008 - 14:18

Also I found at least one question, which is not covered by textbook (Cisco Press ICND1). The question was about to perform initial router configuration. But network addresses in this question use VLSM (this was not covered in textbook). So I was disappointed.

Second problem was with router terminal window - echo was ~ 10 lines down and invisible for me. Very inconvenient. I should press Enter key 10 times to see console output. This is some kind of bug - I can't change terminal window size.

So, my advise is to write down pre-calculated tables for subnets and binary operations before you will start actual exam. This should allow you do not spend much time for subneting calculations.

VadimKozmenko Wed, 07/16/2008 - 14:19

So, my advise is to write down pre-calculated tables for subnets and binary operations before you will start actual exam. This should allow you do not spend much time for subnetting calculations.

wannabccna Thu, 07/17/2008 - 05:03

Hello Vadim,

Sorry if you had problems with the exam windows. I went back a week later, after I had failed and passed it with a 1000.

I didn't have the issue you had but changing between the different windows in some of those simulations can get confusing.

I'm surprised they had any VLSM questions for you because that's not supposed to be until ICND2 I believe.

Well you take care and good luck on your next try. I'm sure you'll do better. Just curious where you are taking your exam?

Adios,

Paul

jim_berlow Thu, 07/17/2008 - 08:34

I see that there have been a few people failing this test lately.

I want to point out (for those that are not aware of it), that Vue is offering a 2nd attempt at the test free until October. Here is the link for more information:

http://www.vue.com/cisco/secondchance/

Good luck,

Jim

wannabccna Thu, 07/17/2008 - 10:46

Thanks for the Link JIM. I'm gonna have to haul rear:) and try to take the 640-816 before Oct.

Thanks again,

Paul

jimschultz007 Wed, 08/06/2008 - 10:34

I am really bummed.....I took the CCENT yesterday and bombed !! I got a 559.....thing is I do know the material .....some of it very well!!! I do not think the academy course and the transcender that I purchased really prepared me all that well....it really does test your knowledge of the subject areas !! I think I need a live review before taking the the next time. I do not know where I would get this ?? I am open to suggestions as to how to successfully pass it my next time ??

VadimKozmenko Wed, 08/06/2008 - 14:03

This is hard to pass this exam first time in your life.

My first attempt gave me score of 530 :-).

I passed this exam on second attempt (a week later) with 987 and ~30 minutes unused.

Tip #1. Write down "power of 2" table (until 2^12) during exam intro.

Tip #2. Write down table similar to "Host/Subnet Quantities Table" for class C:

Class C Effective Effective

# bits Mask Prefix Subnets Hosts

------- ---- ------ ------- ---------

1 128 /25 2 126

2 192 /26 4 62

3 224 /27 8 30

4 240 /28 16 14

5 248 /29 32 6

6 252 /30 64 2

These two tips will allow you do not spend much time on subneting questions.

Also I found that ICND1 exam have some questions related to VLSM and RIP2(split horizon) that are discussed in ICND2 only.

Good Luck.

wannabccna Thu, 08/07/2008 - 05:04

Great tip on writing down helpful information during the exam intro. I do this as well. Also Cisco put a page on the exam before it starts stating that they may not grade every question/answer on the exam. I bet it's these items that aren't in the objectives that don't get graded. i.e. VLSM

Have a great day,

wannabccna

Actions

This Discussion